Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 AM   #81
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: New BMW R1200s, St and RT

People buy BMWs for many different reasons, no doubt there are a few who do so thinking of exclusivity. I can assure you most are thinking of something more relevant to motorcycles. I have a friend with 370,000 miles on a R1100R. I doubt he bought that bike because it made him feel exclusive. I bought my BMW because I have confidence that no matter where I am in the country there is a BMW dealer near with competent service personnel who can fix my problem and get me back on the road quickly. Yes there are some bad BMW dealers out there, but overall, the quality of BMW service has a lot to do with why many choose that marque. I once heard a Harley rider exclaim that the only reason people buy BMWs (which he claimed to be only an average motorcycle) is because of the name. I almost choked on my crawfish omelet. Exclusivity? How about a three year 36,000 mile warranty. There is the BMWMOA, join that group and you can access the anonymous book, a list of BMW enthusiasts nation wide that will come and pick you up if you break down. You also get their great magazine with tech articles, stories about great rides, classifieds, safety tips, and lots more. I feel like John Stossel, "Give Me a Break"!
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 AM   #82
jungkvist
Founding Member

One look at the intermot show and you'll see that the new beemer are far from the worst eye-sores...We're talking theater of the damned. However, a lot of the companies there aren't a large as BMW, and are looking to set themselves apart for recognition. I do like the Duss 300lb, 120hp, V-twin supermoto, though, and it's ugly as hell.

Besides, since all the news that I've found on the new Beemers is on Euro-sites, It doesn't look like they're slated for the US market anyway.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:17 AM   #83
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: I know the true identity of Idiot Boy

I'm still laughing at the guy who thought the 916 was the first bike with a single sided swingarm. Of course BMW was doing it in the '80's and so was Honda, remember the 650 Hawk? The single sided VFR came out before the 916. In 1985, when BMW dropped the R100, every bike they made had a single sided swingarm, every R80, every K100, every K75. When they brought the R100 back in 1988 it had a single sided swingarm. The 1998 F650 was the first conventional swingarm bike sold by BMW in 13 years.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:35 AM   #85
pdad13
Founding Member

Actually, just about everyone on this site is pretty respectful. And some are very clever. You can usually come away with a good chuckle or even, heaven forbid, a new insight.

We sometimes get a bit heated, and certainly don't always agree (thank God), but it's almost always good natured.

Kpaul, on the other hand, has a penchant for calling people idiots, so it's only natural that he's the sh*t magnet. And deservedly so.

I still have this suspicion that he's actually a hoax, or, as someone else suggested, he's some other kind of entity. Perhaps Demonic.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:48 AM   #86
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I'd like to point out that...

I'm not sure I can say the 999 is better looking--I loved the 916--but it's not unpleasing to me. By my estimation it's a cool looking bike. I think the problem is that everyone expected a makeover of the 916 when the 999 arrived. When they got something else, they were horrified. Naturally, everyone keeps comparing the two and, in most people's minds, they can't make the 999 add up.

I'm not sure how any design that wasn't based on the 916 would have fared with the public. Imagine how Steve Young must have felt when he first replaced Joe Montana. Of course, now he's regarded as one of the greats.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:02 AM   #87
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Actually my post was under longride's post. If your skin is that thin allow me to suggest that you might wish to wear leathers prior to reading these threads. I do however admire your paranoia. Remember, just because your paranoid it doesn't mean that someone is not following you. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 AM   #88
mikenomad
Founding Member

Everybody seems to be basing their opinions on a crappy, low-res pic pirated from a French Web site.

Here are high-res pics:

http://motorcycledaily.com/30november04_bmwr1200.htm

I think I could get used to the new styling, along with the decrease in weight and increase in power.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #89
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's the gist of it:

I always worried about my own writing skills. Now, I know that I can always move to Paris and become the Johnny B of the French motojournalism world. -Sean
Old 12-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #90
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: BETTER PICS OF NEW BEEMERS

Rather than base opinion solely on a low-res thumbnail at the French site, check this out:

http://bmwdean.home.att.net/r1200rt.htm
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote