Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 12-01-2004, 04:06 AM   #31
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: New BMW R1200s, St and RT

Man, all I can say is what a beautiful pair of bikes. The designs are so sleek and attractive that I can't wait to get my hands on one of them! I truly love what the Germans have done with these pieces of art. Not really though, I just felt a little contrary this morning!

Ducati Foggy Monster Man
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2004, 05:10 AM   #32
bigjames
Premium Member

Have you seen these pics in Motorrad, NO, have you seen these pics at www.bmwra.org, NO, take a good look, the RT pic is a very computer enhanced image of the current RT. Do you all REALLY think BMW would be stupid enough to have a new design that ugly on public roads allowing that clear of a shot? Methinks MO has been had by the French...Matter of fact, the BMW RA has pretty much laid these two to rest already. Old news, Fugly pics....shame on MO for being so gullible and having those freaking Sponsered links everytime the word m0t0rcycle shows up in a post.....and it is almost non-renewal time......lose the damn sponsered links.....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Even better, you can get the new 1050cc Triumph Sprint ST for about the same as the Honda and thousands less than the Bring More Wampum.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #34
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Yeah, mine belonged in the loo alright.....

I had 2 R1100RTs, one a good bike, the other a rolling POS! Both ended up having their trannys replaced. Current BMW K1200LT, great bike, besides being kinda large, great loolking bike, to me, and tht is all that really matters! Don't expect the MO crowd to like it, but being that I ride Harleys also, used to that already....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 AM   #35
Marcos_Peguero_1
Founding Member

I dont get where people think that these bikes are reliable, all BMW that I have seen have had problems with electrical and clutch, etc, they are very, very nice to ride.

The good thing that BMW bikes have is very good owners that care a lot for the bike.

I think that is the good thing OWNERS.

Marcos_Peguero_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:57 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I get your point too, but motorcycles are hardly a "rational" choice of transportation. I certainly can't defend any BMW, because I never rode one, but if it tugs the heart strings then that is the one for you, regardless of cost. Hell, Harley wouldn't sell even one bike based on your criteria. And neither would Aprilia, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Buell, and every other manufacturer whos name doesn't end in a vowel. We pretty much know the Japanese mfgs have the price/performance thing locked up. I think some people out there are looking for more than that.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 AM   #37
nbyers
Registered Member

Well, I'm clearly with the majority here in saying that the front view of the ST is as ugly as motor oil in your scotch.

What happened at BMW? Good grief, fellas. When the R1100S came out, we all walked around the first one we saw because it was so right. Admit it, you did. It's still sexy. The 1150RT was a beautiful update of an already handsome motorcycle. And the new 1200GS is nice in that Swiss Army bike kind of way.

But the fairing of the 1200ST looks like it was in an unfortunate accident. Before you crash it.

If you look at the rest of the bike aft of the fairing, it's actually pretty nice if a bit 2005 (think Triumph Daytona 600 angles meet 1200GS chunkiness). If anything, the rest of the bike is a little derivative.

The definitive statement, however, has already been made by Moto Station. Here's what they have to say about the new R1200ST:

"One still rather badly sees it on these first documents, but one guesses nevertheless very original the "nose" even dared, with his double optics vertical positioned very high (it should be effective) and invading this time space reserved for the bubble of the careenage, or his two air intake towards the oil radiators and/or the air box. The general esthetics of this road sporting is with the endorsement, with in particular a mixture of curved and broken lines, a reduced back. Side left cycle, the machine is very narrowly inspired by last the R 1200 GS, with its axis of oscillating arm maintained by the framework and either only by the engine. Here are which should reinforce the rigidity of the unit, of as much with a weight announced to 204 kg dry and 237 kg all full facts."

Oh, yeah, NOW I understand.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 AM   #38
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Longride, I already own and ride an ugly BMW (R100GS). I've also owned and, or, ridden most brands and types of motorcycles. The old beemer is without a doubt the bike that has given me the most satisfying ownership experience of all of them. You are correct in pointing out that narrow criteria should not be used when selecting a motorcycle. Otherwise we would all be ridding SV650s or Interceptors (Hondas, not Royal Enfields), or if idiot boy had his way, 600cc inline four sport bikes. I happen to find the looks of the new BMW ST a welcome departure from what now has become the norm of motorcycle styling. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:40 AM   #39
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

I agree about non-renewal time coming up. I could care less about renting a harley. How about some more bike reviews? Suzuki has a Motard coming out, ride reports, repair articles? No, I know how about flammer wear. That's a great idea.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 AM   #40
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Why????

I'm with you on this one blitz. I own and maintain a 1984 Volvo 244 and a 1990 BMW R100GS. Both of them are well made and easy to service. I love my comfortable old Volvo so much that I will probably never but another car as long as I can find the neccessary parts to keep it running. I may, at some point buy another motorcycle, but will never sell my old GS. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote