Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 10-24-2003, 06:43 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: BMW K-bike successor revealed!

The purpose of the "swining" arm is to fend off the non-BMW riding swine you may encounter.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2003, 08:25 AM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Right. It serves to keep the "hogs" away. This feature is only effective on approaches from aft of the beam (that's from directly to the right and the left, and back fo all of you nautically-challenged).

For approaches forward of the beam, it has the trick front "porks".

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #23
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Good for them

I agree. Even if it isn't at the absolute cutting edge it's still a big step in the right direction for them. It would be cool to see some competitive sportbikes come out of Germany. KTM seems to be getting pretty serious too.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:04 AM   #24
mikedard
Founding Member

The dogs I just bought my K1200GT. It'll take me 2 years to convince my wife I need to upgrade! Might be a good thing I now won't have to upgrade the headlight to a HID, I'll wait. Or mavbe not.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:05 AM   #25
mconlon
Founding Member

I'm very much underwhelmed. Styling that looks not much different from every other big-bore hyperbike out there. A transmission that goes through a 90-deg turn at some point so they can run a shaft (shaft made sense in the K and R bikes... not so much with an across the frame engine). And while its great to see new ideas for front suspension and control, is that "Hossack" design really that much different a concept to the venerable girder forks of yore (and current chopper fame) and worth all the ink that will be spilled in its favor? I just hope they give it a cool name. "Blunderbuss" comes to mind.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #26
ValknMag
Founding Member

Dude! He called you a pu$$!!!
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #27
jkofsky
Founding Member

R1150 GS rider here who would be happy to put the (on target) criticism to better use even if just to fantasize about replacement/additional bikes, but why won't more companies put some kind of ABS on more of their model lines? Am I the only one with such limited pretensions to professional brake modulation ability and with such unpredictable riding enviroment that ABS is an ass-saver, not a nuisance?

And note to MO staff - with specs on bikes, why not some kind of index of how insurance companies rate them? We all talk about cost, but when I was comparing two bikes that I actually could fantasize about - the Honda VFR and the Ducati ST4 ABS, guess which one I "couldn't afford'? The Honda with a $4,000 annual premium. Overall, the Ducati looked like a bargain at $1,900. So, in the real world, how the unpredictable insurance companies rate bikes is as important to ongoing affordability than the Sticker price.

jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:25 AM   #28
TuneREX
Founding Member

Yeah, I agree. ABS is good. BMW's may have some wierd points, but their latest brake systems are freakin' awesome. As for the insurance, I feel your pain, which is why I don't insure for collision/theft etc. anymore -- just straight liability, as much as they'll give me. $200 a year usually does it for my bikes.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:13 AM   #29
anrajala
Founding Member

Default scraping the bottom

If you look at the frame pic (3) there seems to be no end how low you can go. How 'bout a seat height of 10" anyone?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

They are not overweight or overpriced either, at least in comparison to german women.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote