Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 08-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

Go with the R1150R. It is relatively light, nimble, and has no plastic. Get the engine guards.

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #2
cstewart77
Registered Member

After having the following bikes:

R1

VFR

FJ1200

I bought a leftover 1150 GS Sport (no ABS) and love it; very comfortable; handles well, great factory luggage options and I feel has enough power.

I test rode the 1150R, but for me (6'3") I felt it wasn't very comfortable.

Might be a good idea to buy a used standard type of bike for a year or two and then step up.....BMW dealers will let you test drive the bikes as well.

Good luck!

Chris
cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #3
Small
Founding Member

I currently own a R1100S and a R1150RT. I got a 97 F650FS as a loaner while having high comp pistons put in the S (who says a BMW can't hang with a sportbike?) I was very impressed with the 650 putting about 400 miles on it despite the November cold. It performed quite well on the interstate, was easy and light to get around town, and generally was good fun. I have seriously considered picking one up for my girlfriend.

She is pretty short so the bikes I have been looking at are all for short people but here is a "short list" of the bikes I would consider

1. F650 CS: It's a Beemer Man!!

2. Ducati 620i: If you are bigger, get the 800

3. Moto Guzzi Breva 750: Unknown

4. SV650: Cheap, easy, bland

In case you have failed to pick up on it, I am a big fan of twins. 4 cyl bikes lack soul. The Thumper in the 650 is fun too.

Happy hunting...
Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default First Bike Opinions

I love BMW bikes as well so I understand the sway they have, but there are a few things you should consider.

In your first few years of riding you will probably change your mind about what an ideal bike really is. Maybe you have dreams of riding cross country or spending the weekends going through backroad sweepers. Doesn't matter, the reality of riding changes what we look for.

The nicer BMWs are serious coin. If you find that you've picked the wrong bike, you'll lose quite a bit of money. True, BMWs hold their value well, but even you could buy and throw away a low displacement late model Japanese bike for the amount a BMW depreciates.

"Sport touring" can be anything from a GSXR with a tank bag to an ST1100. Don't limit yourself by someone else's labels.

Now for my bike recommendation. Get an inexpensive standard. GS500, SV650, Nighthawk, whatever. Throw on a windscreen and some soft luggage and spend some time like that. After a season or two, you'll know better if that K1200 GT is right for you or if you would be better served with a different bike.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck to you.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:08 AM   #5
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

A friend of mine purchased a new F650GS this spring for his first bike, and it is working out well. Being a dual sport, it is an excellent bike to start on.

That said, I would recommend that you find an old standard, or other reliable and cheap bike for your first bike. BMW's are cool, but they are expensive, and the first time you drop it, your wallet will scream... but that is your decision.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Dan
dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:10 AM   #6
ekrums
Registered Member

If you're a new rider, then by all means get yourself a used bike. Less tears will be shed when you drop it in the garage, parking lot, or what have you. Dropping a shiny, new, R1150R / Monster 620 / yadda yadda would definitely suck...

Remember: ANY motorcycle is better than NO motorcycle.

Yeah, you won't look too "cool" on your rusty ol' 1978 CB400... but it builds character!!! And, isn't that what it's all about kids?

-E
ekrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:13 AM   #7
vigorito
Founding Member

The best advice I can give you is to stop obsessing about hardware. Find some folks who share your riding style and actually go riding. Lots of the folks on this forum have bought overpowererd, uncomfortable hyperbikes which are so far beyond their riding skills that they're much safer and more comfortable sitting in front of their 'puters going on and on and on about the superiority of their bike. Ignore all that blather. Get yourself a used standard (everyone seems to favor the Suzuki SV650) and just go riding. If you find that you love to ride, and you have the money, get the flying brick used in a couple years when your riding skills are up to it.
vigorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 AM   #8
redlmtt
Founding Member

I know it isn't fashionable anymore, but I think any new rider needs time on something like a 125 or so. I'd say grab a dirt bike-even a dual purpose-for cheap, then move up. You'll be a better rider for it.

Besides, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:36 AM   #9
jfrocke
Founding Member

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I had just taken the course, and I really wanted a BMW. Didn't want to start with a big one (they seemed so large in size, even for a 6'3" guy like me).

So, I bought a used F650 from the local BMW dealer, with the "offer" that I could trade it back in within three months for $500 less than what I was paying for it towards a new R1150GS (the bike I wanted). I went for the deal and bought the R1150GS.

This was a great way to go! I quickly outgrew the F650 and was able to get what I wanted, feeling safer now with some mileage under my belt, and very little cash outlay to ride the F650.

You might try working out something similar with a BMW dealer near you.

jfrocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:25 AM   #10
rvfrules
Founding Member

I'm only 5'7" and have no trouble riding my R1100GS. BMWs can be good learner bikes. Low power, no plastic, ABS brakes, telelever suspension. Buy yourself a used 1100XX for 6-7 grand, slap engine guards on it and take some MSF courses. You'll be fine.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote