Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 08-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #51
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

4 cyl bikes lack soul.

You can easily compesate for your I-4's lack of "bike soul" by wearing arm chaps..
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 PM   #52
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: R1150R

Don't buy one if you've got long legs, I have a 32" inseam and it was way to cramped for me.

For a first bike I'd get a Kawasaki ZR7S, or Suzuki 600 Bandit. Both are great bikes that are inexpensive, but still offer plenty of performance and handling. If after 6 mos. or a year your still into bikes, then step up to a more expensive bike.

If your heart's set on a BMW, then find a mid 80's air head and learn on that. They're better bikes anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #53
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 4 cyl's lack soul?

Isn't that a matter of perspective? How do you define soul?

I've had vertical twins, V-twins, flat twins and inline fours, I've found that the fours were every bit as "soulfull" as the twins

A good running 4 cyl, howling at the peak of it's powerband or working up through the gears is music to my ears, Just as much as a twin lopeing along.

I think a bikes soul or character is defined by it's competance for the task at hand, not some esoteric aura a given configuration is supposed to possess.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #54
Chuckster
Founding Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

I've had my first bike for approx. 6 months, and took the rider's safety course. I'm an old guy, and last rode 25 yrs ago on my roommate's BSA.

I wanted a standard style bike, and bought a 1992 BMW K 75 SA. Absolutely love the bike, and have found it to be a great one to start out on. Easy to handle when you're in the 'wobbly' phase, but will respond well as you get experience. Plenty fast, even for a 230 pound lug.

Go on-line at the BMW owner's market place website. You can find the bikes for sale and get an idea of prices.

Hope this helps - and good luck.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote