Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #41
Brat_1
Founding Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

I know this is a verbal fart about BMW's but what about Triumphs, they make excellent first bikes with a motor that you'd never get sick of.
Brat_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #42
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Used used used

So you are a newby eh?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:39 AM   #43
maladg
Registered Member

While my stable isn't as well endowed as "Big James", my 32 yrs in the saddle sez that there is a heck of a lot of good advice above..specifically the ones that advise starting cheaper and smaller. Starting with a dual purpose bike is probably the best idea of all...and not just cause I'm of a "certain age" that began with the old DT-1.

Don't worry about the BMW for now and don't concern yourself about those who claim to dislike or like them. Start with that dual purpose bike or that GS500, SV650, BMW 650 (used!) and make up your own mind.

Good luck! You are about to have a ton of fun!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:51 AM   #44
its1471
Registered Member

I would start with a SV650. You can do almost everything to them and appear bulletproof. When you outgrow that or feel more comfortable then move up to a BMW (I have an 1150R-great bike). Take your sv650 and turn it into a track bike (mine is bored to 700cc, penske shocks, m4, race pro, sharkskinz, etc-you get the idea) Now you have 2 bikes-track days, touring, almost everything. Believe me a trackday sv650 can be a serious weapon.
its1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #45
SuperBill
Founding Member

I recommend a cheap, used enduro (dual sport). You WILL drop your bike during your first year of riding (don't be scared - it will probably be at zero MPH), and it's best to get something that bounces well and won't be disfigured by one more scar.

Also, you can take the enduro in the dirt and have lotsa' fun learning how to deal with low traction situations at slow speeds. It's fun to slide through turn, but you probably don't want to do it the first time on a $15,000 GS.

Enjoy and welcome to the club!
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #46
BMWRider
Founding Member

You can pick up a used Beemer for less than a new Japanese bike if you look hard enough and you'll probably enjoy it more in the long run.

As others have said, it wouldn't hurt to pick up a nice used Japanese bike to get your feet wet but I suspect given your love for all things Bavarian, you'll probably tire of it quickly and want to move up to a BMW anyway. So skip that step and get a used Beemer. With proper maintenance, they'll run forever. Try to find a used R1100R or R1100GS and have a ball!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM   #47
KZ6
Founding Member

Great to have another rider out there-

ya gotta start at the beginning-

why not take a riding course if you don't know how,

get a small bike to start with, trade up after you ride for a while, (lot's of riders learn in the dirt first) or get an old BMW to start with,

then go to a bike show this winter and get the Beemer of your choice.

Good luck.

KZ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:39 PM   #48
BruceF
Registered Member

Don't get the BMW 650, people get excited about this machine and then sell it, tooo underpowered., first thing you'll find out is there is more saftey if you have the power to get away from the morons, drunks,etc. A stock 750 honda is reliable as hell, light enough to handle with enough juice to protect yourself...I've got a 1150RS, they let me have a loaner 650 for a service, what a dog.It'll be 6months and you'll be looking for another bike

Pacific Blue1150RS

Arrestme red X11 Honda

Ford F250

GoldenRetriever/Airdale Floor gaurd
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #49
kdurrell
Founding Member

Wow! I can't believe no one else mentioned it, how bout a used R850R? A couple late 90's ones are one ebay right now in the 3000-4500 range. Right brand, good price, and a bit more oomph than a 650...
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:53 PM   #50
Vlad
Registered Member

A great list of suggestions, though I think the Beemer is too expensive. It's strange, but that makes up for the high cost. I think you're a little hard on the SV, though I am no raving sv650 nut (as are many on this list). On that topic, there wouldn't be that many raving SV nuts if it weren't better than bland. My pick would be the 620ie. Lower seat height and frankly more fun than many.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote