Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 08-05-2003, 05:54 AM   #21
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

If this is your very 1st ride go with a used low powered japanese bike at least for a few months. Give the brain a chance to learn a little about motorcycle handling, braking etc. on a lite weight. Then I also like the suggestion of the R1150R. It will be a big upgrade in power, handling, and fun. Ride that a few years and then rethink what you really want after you got some good riding experience behind you. Just MHO.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 06:09 AM   #22
caseyheilman
Founding Member

Default Re: you didn't say it first

4 other people have already mentioned the SV.

Has any other Manufacturer noticed that A LOT of people need a good "bland" beginners bike? Suzuki is selling tons of these bikes because they are not as intimadating(sp?) as the rockets.

Bland also means easy to ride...

C.
caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 AM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Used used used

I was like you when I started out. I wished someone would of pointed me in the used direction. But no I had to go buy a new 600 ss. Longride and others are right. I guarantee your notions about the best bike for you will change. I happened to be lucky and picked a good comfrontable 2001 ZX-6R. But I was close to picking the GSXR-600 which is less comfrontable and would of not fit most of my riding. The great thing about a used Japanese bike is that they are in general dependable. If I had to do over I would of bought a used standard like an SV, Nighthawk, or Suzuki GS500. Most of your riding intially is just learning so why put miles on your dream ride.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:26 AM   #24
nokneedragin
Founding Member

On another note:

This subject comes up failey often, will we all are willing to spout are opinions to anyone who will listen. Esp a beginer. How bout MO adds a extra area to the site aimed at beginers. Alot of good advice from this and previous post could be consolidated to give them a concise area to study and get info.

Just another upchuck.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:49 AM   #25
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

First off, like everybody else said, get a throwaway small japanese bike to learn on.

When and if you go BMW, go used. I love BMWs, but buying new doesn't make sense to me. If you shop around you can probably find a low mile oilhead or K with ABS/grip heat/hard bags/aftermarket pipe for a lot less than a new stripper. Most used BMWs have been professionally maintained and are not ragged out by squids. True, the financing is tempting on ones....but I'd go for a cherry used one. The hype is that all BMWs are owned by serious riders and ridden cross-country. Many are, but some (just like too many Harleys) are bought by RUBs as status symbols, and spend most of their time in a garage until the RUB gets tired of it.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:06 AM   #26
banksideusa
Founding Member

...4 cyl bikes lack soul...

No they don't, its just hiding at about 10K.

Mike
banksideusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:17 AM   #27
banksideusa
Founding Member

Hopping on the band wagon here...

Get the low price used bike, preferrably a standard such as an SV650. Try different styles of riding. Seek out the twisties, try some long days in the saddle, cruise main street. After a season you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for, and what drives you. This is what I did and I have found after a years riding that my tastes are not what I thought they were.

As I see it the trouble with buying a new BMW is that you will take an absolute bath if you decide you don't like it, or the style of riding it forces on you, and you need to sell it.

Alternative scenario, buy a used BMW.

Mike
banksideusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:22 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

AMEN! A more correct statement has yet to be typed into this forum.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:30 AM   #29
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: you didn't say it first

I think that you are correct in stating that SV's sell well, because they are "bland" and un-intimidating to newer riders. Of course the beauty of it all is that they are also inexpensive and are one of those rare bikes that is servicable for the beginner and STAYS servicable for the expert. People don't outgrow SVs, because they are not limited to competence only at lower speeds etc. An SV is a willing partner (girl next door type) that will go from mild to wild in the blink of an eye.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 AM   #30
jackloudon
Registered Member

While I agree wholeheartedly with the comments on going small/cheap for your first bike, I did the opposite and it's worked out fine. 30 yrs ago I briefly owned a Honda 350 but other than that had no experience until I rode a 125 in the MSF class. I wanted to buy a sportbike but my wife would have nothing but a gold wing or BMW K1200 LT. So I bought the 850 lb. LT. Dropped it twice in the first week but the tipover wings prevented any damage. Now 6 months and 8000 miles later I'm extremely happy with the bike. I do a lot of freeway driving (commuting) and the LT is head & shoulders above any of the other bikes I've tried since.

I think it's fine to start small & cheap, but pick something out that suits your intended use! If I had gotten the sportbike I wanted, I wouldn't have been happy in cold, rainy weather we often have in Seattle.
jackloudon is offline   Reply With Quote