Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 08-05-2003, 05:33 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: First bike for a BMW fan?

Just a thought, try to get seat time on a dirt bike. It WILL make you a better rider. If you have a truck, pick up a cheap used one, and protective gear (dirt can hurt also), and make friends with some dirt guys, have them show you the ropes.

Then get a used standard (650 or smaller). Beat the snot out of it. Then get the Beemer, if thats what you still want in 6months or so. I can guaranty that you will sell the standard, but you will probably keep the dirt bike
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 06:05 AM   #12
ekrums
Registered Member

Wow! Just listen to you guys... 6-7 grand for a first bike? How about $600 - $700 for a first bike!!!

That's a lot of coin to be throwing into a hobby that's not for everyone...

A nice POS bike works best as a learner...

And, if you're so inclined, you'll feel less intimidated to try your hand at wrenching on a $700 bike vs. a $7000 bike...

My 2 cents.

-E
ekrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:05 AM   #13
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Test Ride, Test Ride & Then Test Ride Some More!

Hoy, A$$Daddy!

After you have passed the MSF course, go out and test ride as many different bikes as you can get your arse on. THEN make your decision and get what YOU like the best. And don't get caught up on all the squid hype about quarter mile times, racetrack prowess, weight, etc. You don't have to worry about bike size/displacement either. If you are a mature adult, you will ride sensibly and you will excercise prudent and judicious throttle and braking control. Just because the bike will go from 0-60 in 3.0 sec and run 150 mph, doesn't mean you have to. If the K1200GT is what you want after you have test ridden a few bikes, then go get it and be happy. But you might also find out that an Aprilia Tuono, Buell XB12R, Ducati ST4s, KTM 950 Adventure, HD Screaming Eagle Road King or Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans are what you really can't live w/o.

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:10 AM   #14
rvfrules
Founding Member

Sorry, but we're on different wavelengths. Biking is my life, not my hobby.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think a cheap bike and a year or two of experience is on order before taking the "plunge". Having never ridden a motorcycle, you don't know how you will react to having your life flash before your eyes when some idiot pulls in front of you and you think you might die. Getting the crap scared out of you may change your mind about this sport. The other factor, is how you may react to being injured. Falling down hurts, and you may do that once or twice early in your career. How you react when you fall and get scraped up, or possibly break something will tell you if this is your gig. Like some guy said above, "motorcycling isn't for everyone". I would find out if it's for you before buying a big dollar bike. Riding in the dirt is the best teacher, if you can do that, else go for the cheap road bike and get lots of practice.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 AM   #16
ekrums
Registered Member

Hobby, pastime, "way of life", call it what you will, it still rules nonetheless...

Some people are just not cut out to be motorcyclists, & they find out the hard way.

Broken bones, lost $$$, or worse! I'm just trying to pass on some advise. Sorry if my verbiage was not "hardcore" enough for you.

-E
ekrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 AM   #17
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default don't get a beemer ...

get a bike you wouldn't mind see flop on its side in a parking lot. because that's prolly what's going to happen before you get the hang of riding. i suggest getting a used thrasher of a bike smaller than 500 cc ... the suzuki gs500 is an excellent choice and there are tons of 'em out there. some can be had for less than $1,500. ride the thrasher for a year, then buy what you want. you'll be qualified at that point.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:28 AM   #18
mjs
Founding Member

how old are you ?

how much money do you make ?

do you want to Ride a motorcycle or own a status symbol ?

I might as well say it first..........

buy a used SV650
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:33 AM   #19
obandoj
Founding Member

The SV 650 is so bland, it will blow the doors off the rest on your list, when the rest start having expensive mainteanance calls the, Little SV will be asking for the occasional oil change and still blow the doors off the rest, and for alot less money, which is very important for a beginer.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:43 AM   #20
obandoj
Founding Member

Good move on your part to take the MSF course.

Your second good move should be to buy a cheap used bike and put your new knowledge to use, then as Longride mentioned above, see how you cope with the fear and the pain first. This is usually what makes or brakes a beginer, if you pass the trial by fire, you may be in it for life!

Good luck.

P.S. A dirt bike would be a very good idea.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote