Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 05-05-2003, 02:51 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 80th Anniversary Beemer

Is BMW going to offer fake Iron Cross tattoos too?

How about a special cell phone that plays "Flight of the Valkyries"?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2003, 04:46 AM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Maybe the book will explain why they saddled a cool bike like the rockster with primer and zinc chromate paint. Maybe it's to match the feld grau arm chaps them beemer boyz wear.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:00 AM   #3
fyodordos
Founding Member

Poor BMW. Even as one of my favorite manufacturers, they just donÂ’t get through sometimes. Why 8th in the Cycle World comparo, for instance?

Anyway, the best shaft drive sporty bikes in the world add to their own misery, but profits are up, so what the hell? The sapphire white had me drooling, and now I find it ONLY comes with ABS, and potentially a European vacation. The essential options.

I love them. I hate them. Make it stop.

fyodordos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

if it wasn't such a depressed travel market, I would have said it was a great deal but..

with the current world situation, the airlines are almost paying YOU to go somewhere outside the USA.

sure, I'd like to have one but... I'd still get spanked on the road by 80% of the "rising sun" bikes.

Oh well, it's a nice read, but not a buy.

one more thing, here's my deal:

lower the price to 10K and make the 'trip' a video at the dealership and I'll buy it!

I promise
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:38 AM   #5
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I love the bike (R1150R) but not in that package. The basic bike runs 10 grand and is a good deal like that. They can keep the 6 grand add on.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #6
davyt
Founding Member

FWIW, here's a link to the BMW site...

<a href="http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1150r_80throckster">
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1150r_80throckster</a>
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #7
12er
Founding Member

"I'd still get spanked on the road by 80% of the "rising sun" bikes."

Sounds like you need a track school and not worry about what you ride so much. A racer buddy of mine was tripping out to find an RT on his @ss that he couldnt shake on a local road. Blew his mind that a 50 year old man on a touring bike was so d@mn fast. The street evens out most bikes, you can only go so fast around dirty blind corners. No better bragging rights than smoking full on sport bikes with your beamer. Even better was with my old KLR 650. Ride safe.

As for the promotion, if I didnt already have a bmw I would be all over it. Probably the only excuse I could find to go to Germany for a tour. That and your travel costs are financed, nothing out of pocket.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:41 AM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

It's good to know that at least some of the MO readers have a grasp of the complexities of real world riding, and the proper type of motorcycle to use in that venue. I am 53 years old and ride a somewhat modified BMW R 100 GS, and regularly show my backside to some of the so called sport bike riders on the corner filled mountain roads here in northern California. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #9
john
Founding Member

thats great, its all rider of course. hell you put some of the track guys on a friggin chopper and they will hand yes, even you, your ass. so its all relative, eh?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM   #10
F451
Founding Member

Actually a great package idea with a motorcycle that has no idea of what it is, where it is going and what category of motorcycle it belongs in--if it even belongs any specific category at all. This is such a feeble attempt at capturing a market segment that BMW should have planned for a decade ago. Slap some silly-ass graphics, dumb-up the paint and behold instance market share! Yeah, right. BMW needs to start from scratch and they know it.

And for all you inane pukes out there that ragged on the Motorola/H-D cell phone in this case it would be a Siemens cell phone (just for clarification).

And since we won the war and financed the war without Germany, all Americans deserve a discount on this package direct from BMW considering we are BMW's largest market for their products. And don't give me that BMW USA crap either as the parent company is still German and always will be headed out of Germany. So if you partake as one of the two-hundred suckers and you're American think about it as you fly over to Germany to have your wallet emptied.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote