Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   BMW News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/bmw-news/)
-   -   80th Anniversary Beemer (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/bmw-news/1825-80th-anniversary-beemer.html)

F451 05-07-2003 09:50 AM

Re: 80th Anniversary Beemer

Oh, ouch!

F451 05-07-2003 10:06 AM

Just finished my American Corn Flakes (God Bless'em) so I'm fit for a rebuttal. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are in the their own category of "personal statement" as driven by the H-D owners who have made H-D what it is and I'm happy for H-D and the role they hold. H-D has done more for the entire motorcycling industry--in just their spin-offs of aftermarket and motorcycling image--than all the other motorcycle manufacturers put together. God Bless'em for it.

Now the BMW package part: Given that you'll be coddled by the BMW factory, own a limited edition motorcycle and privy to the royal treatment, topped off by a 1,000 ride and for the first time ever be able to take factory delivery, it all adds up to be a value. Too bad they F'd up on Iraq and with the Rockster...twang.

F451 05-07-2003 10:23 AM

Dear Sillizawa,

Just finished my second bowl of American Corn Flakes, so I'm good to go--again. Now who contracts who in this motorcycle parts arrangement? Why it the American's--of course. But, you can keep pondering that one for a while...you'll probably need to. Porche is spelled Porsche. I do own an American automobile and abhor twits like you who plaster their foreign cars and trucks with American flags. Wasn't it funny after 911 just how many foreign vehicles suddenly became plastered with American flags? Yes it was.

jeffreyc 05-07-2003 10:34 PM

I actually like it a lot and I am thinking of buying one. I wouldn't even consider buying a $6000 tour package. You can buy a normal week including airfare and hotel for a grand.

I really don't care if anyone passes me while dragging their pegs on the floor. I test rode the R1150R and found it extremely comforable, loaded with torque and a genuine pleasure to ride.

However, if it were twenty years ago and we were talking about motocrossing on my new 1983 CR480, I would take all of your cash. (as a matter of fact, I could use your cash to fix my knees!)

jeffreyc 05-07-2003 10:42 PM

Nice bike

F451 05-08-2003 08:57 AM

Since I have dealt as an executive in a multi-national major corporation I do know exactly what you've pointed out. However, my point was and is that American parent companies, with the exception of Chrysler (which is now German) are still American and call the shots. Your made-in-the-USA Honda is still directed from the parent company in Japan and I know Japanese business well (not an easy feat) and can assure you the shots will always be called from Japan and that the Japanese consider their vehicles made in the USA less desirable--think about that as you drive around.

Chrysler, was a sell-out and if you know the history about the acquisition, then you would know the German's promised the executives that they would remain only to be replaced by German executives; their was one savvy American executive who pounded them at their own game in that transition.

seruzawa 05-08-2003 02:38 PM

Oh, I'm cut to the quick.

Maybe we should compare DD214s.

seruzawa 05-08-2003 02:43 PM

seems like you assume every person who buys the latest and greatest is a squid.

Nope, never said that. But it's likely that anyone on a modern 600-4 who gets waxed by an R5 most likely IS a squid.

And everyone who goes faster than me IS an idiot. Didn't you know that.

captainwhoopass 05-15-2003 10:34 AM

Not to mention elitist anti-Japanese jackasses like you who think that the ability to buy expensive German bikes makes them better than other riders...

captainwhoopass 05-15-2003 10:39 AM

What shots are you referring to? R&D? That is done in the United States by American product planning staff. Distribution? Again, entirely American staff. Purchasing? Americans. Assembly? Americans. Sales and marketing? Americans. Please point out the Japanese who are calling the shots.