Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 05-05-2003, 10:01 AM   #11
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: 80th Anniversary Beemer

I think Honda makes those
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #12
maladg
Registered Member

Do what??
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #13
rmenk
Founding Member

MO has always been the wrong forum to intelligently debate BMW's. Wrong, uh, demographics, shall we say? Too many rice burner weenies with thin wallets who can only afford things like rice burners and cheap talk.
rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #14
mdr_1
Founding Member

I think he's right. BTW, I love BMW cars and own a 540I myself. Just my 2 cents.
mdr_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #15
smythie
Founding Member

There ARE some of us here who have a deal of respect for BMW - both bike and cars. I don't ride one now because I have only been riding for 18 months and find most of the sporting Bimmers a bit heavy for my experience. And no, I don't ride a rice burner, I ride a Pommy Valiant (Triumph TT600).
Old 05-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #16
F451
Founding Member

Default Rockster equal Boxster? I don't think so.

Since I've owned BMW motorcycles I speak from experience. BMW motorcycles don't do much of anything wrong or right for that matter, they're about as plain vanilla as they come and I don't have a problem with that and enjoy that style of riding. And to that notion you can't slap crap on an existing model with a tweak here and there and call them something new or "attach" yourself to a market segment (they've now done this with two of their models).

There is some semantic tomfoolery going on here....is the Rockster synonymous to the Porsche Boxster in the hopes of revitalizing BMW motorcycles?

Porsche was in dire straits until the Boxster came along, BMW motorcycle sales is currently in dire straits. How? Although their sales and market share (not market segment in this instance) are up this increase is fueled by low to no interest BMW finance rates on their motorcycle line up. Low interest finance rates kill BMW motorcycle trade-in values as most potential buyers find it better to simply to take the low or no interest rate; don't believe me ask a BMW dealer who you know well (to avoid the typical sales BS). BMW has been doing this interest rate program far too long and simply cannot sustain business in this manner.

I blame a lot of this on BMW. Speak to the BMW dealers who were around in the seventies and eighties and they will tell you that when they spoke to their automotive counterpart, they were spoken down to as some sort of underling. This why some very good dealers no longer handle BMW motorcycles. Another complaint was how cheap people with money were when they came into buy a BMW motorcycle.

The Rockster will achieve little to nothing in capturing a mandatory market segment and age groups necessary to keep the doors open at BMW motorcycles. BMW will have to start with a fresh sheet of paper. BMW always thought they would remain the status symbol they once conjured. Unfortunate for BMW they now have major competition that is eroding their market share...rapidly.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 03:03 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

You just might be onto something there.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 AM   #18
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default Flight of the Valkyries

Uh, my phone already plays "Flight of the Valkyries." Do I win a prize or something?

Mike L.

'99 Cyclone
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 AM   #19
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

to respond to both of you.

I'm NOT a racer.

I would LIKE to go to a track school.. will you pay? I don't NEED one (I'm sure I'll learn a LOT thought).

I have lived to ride for the past 30 yrs of bikin' in northern N.J. I think I have a 'one up' on most bikers throughout the country, except maybe NYC(those guys are crazy!). Period.

I agree that a BMW can beat a sport bike with the right rider. Just not this one.

and, no I'm not looking for praise,

I CAN'T prove it to you (I'm in N.J.) and I know BMW4VWW is in Ca.(we have corresponded on a different subject),

as for 12er and John.. If you are close I'll demonstrate.

I don't wish to be flamed.

I'm just stating my skill level and the power/ handling capabilities of most UJM sportbikes.. Mine included ('02 RC51)that is ...if you have the skill. and it's true. I've spanked gsxrs in the twisties with my 883R.. but then the straight's come and, bye bye.. which makes it that much harder to catch them in the next turn.. get my point?

besides... does this Beemer come with Carbon fiber skid plates on it's Cylinder heads? , 'cause you'll need them if you plan on making that 'spankem' statement come true.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:15 AM   #20
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

sorry, I posted my response to you guys on the main page.. I guess I'm not good at posting
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote