Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 04-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #31
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Definitely the financing

How's it running now?

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2003, 02:17 AM   #32
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Sales Jump

Whoa there, remanking. In what way is a BMW 'archaic'? When the current series of boxers came out in '93, they were ( and in some cases still are) the first bikes to have:

1. Front suspension which keeps trail constant under braking, and avoids the problems of telescopic forks;

2. No cycle frame, just subframes attached to the engine unit, thus getting away from the motor-in-a-cycle we've been stuck with for the last 100 years( yes, I know about Vincents, but they don't make them any more);

3. Digital engine management systems;

4. Second generation ABS;

5. Adjustable ergonomics;

6. A catalyser;

7. Compensated parallelogram rear suspension to avoid shaft-jacking;

8. Heated grips for all -weather riding

9. The ability to actually fix a flat by the side of the road in real-world conditions

10. 50 to the gallon at a constant 80 mph in real-world conditions.

Archaic? Nobody else has even gone half-way to catching up!!!
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:09 AM   #33
mjs
Founding Member

Default Re: Lighten up!!

the last i heard(some of harley's engines use pistons made in germany.....also don't forget where the v-rod motor was designed)

i don't think that the japanese are on board either

pretty soon you be walkin boy !!!
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #34
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Look how she runs.

There is a *slight* low-speed surge, BUT

1) the Adventure model has a significantly shorter first gear than the standard 1150GS (and the rest of the R-bikes, as well) so even when my road speed is realy slow, I am turning the engine quickly enough to keep out of surge territory. I other words, I have to be going about 2-6mph to notice any surge on my bike. Even then it has to be steady speed; accelerating through the low-speed stuff produces no Even at 6-7mph it smoothes out. Literally, the only time it surfaces is when I am crawling at walking pace in bumper-to-bumoer traffic, which I've since learned to avoid by learning side roads.

2) My dealer has two of about 28 BMW Certified Master Techs in North America, and a good wrench can dial it in really well. They have told me not to fiddle with it until the bike is entirely broken in, which is apparently around the 12-15k mile mark on these R-bikes.

But how often to I stay at that low speed, really? The shorter first gear (shorter sixth, too) are for more tractability off-road, since the Adventure is the really "butch"version of the bike.

In short, she runs great at 4k miles in a month-and-a-half. Wouldn't quite give my left one for this bike, but I didn't have to. Now I have this crazy idea to pick up a used F650 and motard it for more twisty-fun-day stuff. Of course, I also hve an idea to cafe the heck out of a two-year-old R1200C. But this Adventure is really all teh bike I could *need.*
Old 04-09-2003, 07:09 AM   #35
Tim_White
Founding Member

To be clear then: Because BMW doesn't make a sportbike they are archaic? Kinda like saying Ferrari really should be dismissed because they don't make a SUV, right?

Dude, ride whatever you want, there are plenty of great bikes to choose from (and some of them aren't even BMWs!) but don't spout off about things you don't know. Better yet, take a Beemer for a demo ride some time. Who knows, you might even like it. If you don't, no sweat, but at least you'll be making an informed decision.

As for BMW not making a sportbike, my big 'n heavy R1150GS does an excellent sportbike impersonation, just ask the R1 and 'blade mounted squids I pass every weekend. Doin' a track day later this month . . .
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:12 AM   #36
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

No, the Ural!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:13 AM   #37
Tim_White
Founding Member

Get ready, freedom-lover, here comes a clue: You already bought the BMW. The Germans already have your money. Selling it to someone else won't change that.
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #38
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Lighten up!!

Don't mind walkin' as long as I'm wearin' my "Made in America" Red Wing Boots. Besides, walking is healthy.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:43 AM   #39
Dryfly
Registered Member

Wow, that is an intelligent comment. How did you come up with that? I'd of never thought of that. You must be one of them smart Frenchies.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:48 AM   #40
Dryfly
Registered Member

Sorry, I was referring to already owning a Harley. I wouldn't buy crap like a Ural. I don't believe anyone should buy U.S. only. Without competition we'd all be riding crap.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote