Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 03-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #21
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: '04 BMW All New Boxer engines!!!!

A Monster, uncomfortable? Well, the seat is a bit hard. But you're either quite tall, or a little girl.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #22
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Dream On

Pulling 100hp from a stock boxer is going to take a lot more than extra spark plugs. The 1150 boxer is only 3 - 4 years old. It would be unlike BMW to do a major makeover so fast. I'd be surprised if power increased more than 10hp. But, it would be cool to have a Hooligan BMW....so I hope I'm wrong.

I guess I'm just lucky, but I don't notice surging problems with my 99 R1100R. It's my first fuel injected bike and I love it. I could never go back to a non-FI bike.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:31 AM   #23
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Spill the beans!

Oh, financially enlightened one, please tell us, your humble unworthy servants, just how you spent your $6K on your R1100S, so we won't make the same mistakes. Seriously, please list out what you have done. I have an '02 Boxer Cup and when I checked into performance mods, there isn a whole lot available. The most cost effective components are from San Jose BMW. These being the large volume intake snorkel ($16 and their air cleaner ($170). If you add a Remus Race Exhaust (~$1K) you should be knocking around 100hp. Now if you want that to be rear wheel HP, then some head work and new pistons may be in order. I have been trying to address the lighting issue, but I can't find white balanced xenon boosted 100w H1 and H7 bulbs. So far just a standard halogen 100w H7 is all. If you went through the expense of installing HID units, please account for it. I might want to do the same thing. I don't understand why BMW did not make HID standard equipment. Thanks in advance.

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:29 AM   #24
rvfrules
Founding Member

Bikehead, I haven't read all the way to the bottom of this thread, but I hope you've figured out that the 2004 "dual plug" models (really 2003 models) have nothing to do with the 2004 100hp model being discussed. The new bike radically different from the current GS, including a watercooled power plant. So enjoy your bike for the one to two year gap before the new one comes out. And don't forget about the teething period either. That'll add another year.

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 03:34 AM   #25
R1150GS
Founding Member

Default Re: Legal regs

Uh, how about the K1200RS? While it's bhp is rated at 130, it has dynoed at 116 rear wheel hp. Best I can remember, it's sold in Germany.
R1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:05 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

When all is said and done the new bike will probably be less "revolutionary" than HD's shift from Shovelheads to Evos.

In this case BMW gets attaboys for making yet another raft of minor changes to its decades old engine. HD does the same thing and gets pilloried.

Go figure.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #27
Cozine
Registered Member

Default Re: Legal regs

Thanks. I didn't know that.
Cozine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:52 AM   #28
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Spill the beans!

Hadji, there was an article in Cycle World a couple of months back about a R1100S built by San Jose BMW. That bike had the mods that you mentioned as well as extensive head work and high compression pistons. That bike put out 99 rear wheel hp on the Cycle World dyno. Small mentioned that he had spent $6,000 on engine mods AND high intensity lighting. If his bike is putting out 100+ rear wheel hp then his cost estimate is not to far off. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:24 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

Where do you get the information that the new boxer is water cooled? Nothing in the article suggests that, and the pictures show cooling fins and the absense of anything that looks like a radiator.

At most, this is an evolutionary update of the existing motor. In BMW terms, it is too soon for an all-new design.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:36 AM   #30
FrankS1
Founding Member

H-D pilloried?? Just where were you when the oilhead replaced the airhead? Asleep on your UJM or some such?

As a 'frinstance, take a look at the airhead beemer club logo. Or hunt around if you've never seen it. It comes across to me as very much the same flavor as the "See no EVO, hear no EVO, ride no EVO" tee shirts which were hot sellers at Sturgis and Daytona those many years ago. Not to mention the cries of rage when good old Earles forks disappeared and telescopic forks -originally a BMW development, but never mind that- (re)appeared on BMWs.

But BMW is stodgy enough, and compliant enough with regulations where they are manufactured, that 100 hp at the crankshaft seems hard to swallow, and 100 bhp at the wheel seems damn near impossible. Chalk up another one for sloppy or irresponsible fiction writing, masquerading as journalism.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote