Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 02-26-2003, 12:52 PM   #1
GregP
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Donates Motorcycles to Pentagon

Bully for BMW, but where are our American Manufacturers in all these statistics? (Harley and Honda) I'm sure they have done a lot since 9/11, besides donating a few used bikes to the US Gov. Actually, I think our local unit need more help than the Feds, and help not in hardware, but in training! I'm continually amazed at the bad riding of local law enforcement (2 abreast on a 2 lane,etc) and the clothes they wear (big "jack boots", short sleeve uniform shirts, 1/2 helmets.) My feeling is that the manufacturers are missing the boat, it is easy to sell the law cheap leases on bikes, why not teach them how to ride, or require a rider course to get the cheap lease?
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #2
BadCop
Founding Member

If you ask me, they're sucking up to the US, trying to buy a few brownie points in response to Germany's pathetic "Axis of Weasel" position on Iraq. The gerps are going to have to do a lot more sucking up to compensate for being such wussies.
BadCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

Here is a link to all the auto manufactures that donated money and or vehicles to LEO post 9/11

http://www.aiada.org/aiada/united_we_stand/

Seems that the German companies lead the way ie BMW and Daimler Chrysler. So yeah where is HD???

As for the ridiculous riding apparal that our LEO use is beyond me. I mean the Germans all have full face BMW system helmets, full leathers now replaced with ballistic nylon/gortex with armor.
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #4
Grappelli
Registered Member

Oh great.. now you want to do Germany as well? Xenophobia rules in the USA?

Badcop - you're an idiot.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:49 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Nowhere does Badcop suggest "doing" Germany.

That is unless you are seeing words written in the post that no one else can see.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Okay. You try wearing full protective gear all day long in the southwest US sun. The Motor-cops spend most of their time at rest, not moving at freeway speeds. Germany's climate is quite different.

That said, I bet someone could design better gear for them to wear. They certainly deserve it.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #7
dwr461
Founding Member

This is a very smart marketing ploy by BMW. They look good because they donated bikes to the military. Also they might stand a good chance of selling more motorcycles to the military if they decide to put more MP's on bikes. What's funny is just a couple of months age in BMW Owner's News a BMW rider modified a R1150RT-P to look like what he believed a MP bike would look like if the US Army had them. He did this in honor of the unit he served in during Vietnam if I remember correctly.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 05:51 AM   #8
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

What are you talking about? HD graced us with the Firefighter's and Peace Officer's Special Editions!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:47 AM   #9
jlwolff911@hotmail.c
Founding Member

Just a quick comment about hot weather riding and LEOs. As being active duty, we are required to wear a dot/euro spec helmet, boots, and protective jacket to get on post.

In fact, if you box on a bike without a helmet it is a line of duty no. That means no survivor benefits etc.

As for riding in the SW, well I guess San Antonio qualifies. I have pounded out many 8hr days in 100 degree weather. I guess that's way camel backs and mesh jackets were made.
jlwolff911@hotmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:55 AM   #10
shaneking
Founding Member

What I don't understand is why so many law enforcement agencies use H-Ds. They don't have the speed or high speed handling to keep up with most other bikes. I would think that ST1100/1300s or even Gold Wings would be more practical, not to mention BMW. I guess those bikes aren't macho enough.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote