Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > BMW News

Old 02-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #21
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW #1 in Europe

Or most older Moto Guzzi sidestands that require you to have a 46" inseam to extend them while sitting on the bike...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #22
runner00
Founding Member

Hey I sat on a 1100s and put the kick stand down and then realized there is no way of actually knowing the kick stand if fully deployed because it is behind the cylinder head obstructed from your line of sight. Now thats an engineering marvel.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #23
SuperBill
Founding Member

Go to any gathering of BMW riders and count how many bikes are on the sidestand. They don't even bother. Even if you can extend the sidestand from the saddle, and even if you can see if it's deployed, the bikes just don't lean into it like they're supposed to.

On the other hand, BMW center stands are a thing of joy. Easy to use and perfectly balanced. Take off the front wheel, it rocks to the rear - take of the rear wheel, it rocks to the front. Take out the oil plug, it rocks back and forth gently to expel all of the old oil. (Ok, the last one I made up, but the rest is true.)
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:55 PM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I don't know what they have to be jealous of, they've got those waffles you know.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:02 PM   #25
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

In Europe you are suppose to get off the bike on the left side and then put the kick stand down.

(according to the German version of DMV/MSF manual)
SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Dastardly yet fixed

Speaking of the dastards. My leakage problem was finally diagnosed as a bad o-ring around the speedometer sensor. When they would clean up the oil and do a two mile test ride it wouldn't build up enough pressure to leak. Then I would take it out for a thrashing and oil would leak out the top and down the back.

Anyway, I went for a 350 mile ride on Saturday. We did one clockwise lap of the Salton Sea-middle of nowhere California. The desert is beautiful this time of year (82 degrees that day) and I didn't spill a drop. No parts fell off either!

The damn CD player kept mistracking though. That will be my next thing to ***** about.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:12 PM   #27
xlr8r
Founding Member

RTFM! Ze Chermans haff a spechial vay of gettink ze sidestand down. Vat you do is dismount ven ze machine is at rest in ze same vay as you vould from a horse, zen vile standing beside ze machine ze sidestand may be extended wiz ze boot, and ze machine lowered on to it. Zis is standard Prussian Cavalry practice and no ozzer Vay vill be tolerated!

And if you think I'm making this up, have a look at a 1970s/80s BMW owners manual, where there are photos of people doing exactly this in the BMW-approved manner...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #28
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

The new Rockster looks cool, it should help sales even more. Check it out >>

http://www.bikenet.co.za/news/December/bmwrockster.html
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:09 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Dastardly yet fixed

Well at least they found it. I might just keep the cassette and plug in the CD for mine. How do you like the Glide so far? Is it what ya thought?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:27 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Dastardly yet fixed

I love it. It really brings a different perspective to riding than a sportbike. We've had a lot of rain so I was noticing how green everything was in the mountains, the beautiful desert landscape, the godawful smell of the Salton Sea.

Also, it really has a lot more oomph in stock trim than I expected. I had no problem passing cars when I had to (that may be a different story with a passenger and gear).

On the way back home through the backside of the mountains up to Julian,CA, I pushed it a bit to see how she would do in the twisties. It turns really well for such a heavy machine but the floorboards are really what limit cornering. After three or four scrapes and eased up a bit so I wouldn't disintegrate them on my first real ride.

No buyer's remorse here. I love it.