Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Aprilia

Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
digitsu
Registered Member

Default Aprilia vs Ducs

Just got my oogata license (in japan you need a separate license for big bikes) and looking to get a new bike. I realize such open ended questions are bound to trail a mile of cruft, but I'm going to open myself up to it. I'm looking at the monster s2r, hypermotard, compared to the ktm superduke or the upcoming aprilia shiver. I'd like to hear what experienced duc riders have to say about the general characteristics of duc vs ktm's vs aprilia in terms of build quality, reliability of bikes, and maintenance costs. I have a friend who has a ktm 950SM and a smaller 450ex motocross bike, and swears by ktm reliability, but I don't like the plastiky feel fo the bike. Never seen an aprilia in the flesh, but I hear that they are all of top quality and finish. I know that Duc's carry the most 'sexy factor', but that aside, how to the manufacturers measure up?

any opinions?
digitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
YamaCat
Founding Member

Have you considered the Aprilia Tuono? I own an '03 Yamaha FZ1 and I like the bike but I have always wanted the Tuono because 1.) I have yet to own a V-twin and 2.) everything I have read leads me to believe that it would have the best handling and 3.) Aprilia's are very sexy.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
digitsu
Registered Member

I'll definitely have to try out the Tuono! I think there is an Aprilia day coming up end of July here in japan.

No mention of the shiver coming over here though, that is a sexy bike. (perhaps its the vixens on the add though)
Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
YamaCat
Founding Member

This is a bit off topic but tell me, whats it like to ride in Japan? Are the motorcycle laws strict? Are there traffic cameras everywhere? Do you get to ride in the mountains or mostly in the city? Are the roads smooth? What kind of weather do you ride in. O.K., I'll stop now.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
jollyjeweller
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitsu View Post
No mention of the shiver coming over here though, that is a sexy bike. (perhaps its the vixens on the add though)
They've changed the ad, maybe had complaints, there are still vixens on there, but quite as hot or as naked as they were
Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
digitsu
Registered Member

Yeah... I just noticed that they removed the girl in the front. maaan. damned censors. wonder if the italian site is still the same. godbless euroland.

riding in japan? Its great. there are cameras on the main highways, but japan is a mountainous country and there are beautiful scenic mountain windy roads everywhere. the road repair conditions are usually quite good (tolls are steep), but most of all its very safe in the cities compared to america. there are enough scooters and trikes on the street so that car drivers aren't as brainless around bikes as in usa.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Humpydogg
Founding Member

I'm not experience with the new in-house engines as compared to the 90 V Rotax but if Aprilia learnt anything from Rotax are anywhere near the quality/reliability/low maintenance as those engines, ya gotta go Aprilia.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
spongepolka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitsu View Post
Just got my oogata license (in japan you need a separate license for big bikes) and looking to get a new bike. I realize such open ended questions are bound to trail a mile of cruft, but I'm going to open myself up to it. I'm looking at the monster s2r, hypermotard, compared to the ktm superduke or the upcoming aprilia shiver. I'd like to hear what experienced duc riders have to say about the general characteristics of duc vs ktm's vs aprilia in terms of build quality, reliability of bikes, and maintenance costs. I have a friend who has a ktm 950SM and a smaller 450ex motocross bike, and swears by ktm reliability, but I don't like the plastiky feel fo the bike. Never seen an aprilia in the flesh, but I hear that they are all of top quality and finish. I know that Duc's carry the most 'sexy factor', but that aside, how to the manufacturers measure up?

any opinions?
I have owned all three makes. I would say the Ducati is probably the highest maintenance /expensive of the bunch, but there is a lot of character there. The KTM leans a little more off road. My current ride is an Aprilia RST 1000 (Futura) so I'm a little biased toward Aprilia and will most likely buy another Aprilia someday. You can't go wrong with a Rotax engine. Go Shiver or Tuono.
spongepolka is offline   Reply With Quote