Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
turnburners
Registered Member

Default Re: SXV 4.5: Your Face Is Not Meant to Smile Like This!

Let me start by saying this: I love the Aprilia 4.5. The 5.5 is another story and has a really bad rap for breaking down. My buddy has one and hates it, always in the shop and has not hit 1k miles yet. My experience to date with the "street legal 4.5" has been FANTASTIC and I beat the crap out of the thing! Now to answer your questions.

Located: Honolulu, HI

Price: $9,300. Extra $$$ to make "street legal" which is done with 0 mods to the bike but by taking it to a state inspector who confirms that the "factory baja kit" on the bike meets DOT requirements. Extra $1,000.00 but worth it!

Miles: 2600

Maintenance: Similar to Ducati and around $200 for valve adjustment. ALL SUPERMOTO BIKES require about the same amount of maintenance because they are after all, "race ready". Much, much, much cheaper than a Duc service. And Ducati Service really sucks now that they have gone mainstream. IMHO Ducati has lost their passion and become very "corporate". Quote from Ducati North America after a chain break cracked my engine block- " Well since the dealer (AN AUTHORIZED DUCATI DEALER) threw away the broken chain we will not cover it under warranty." Here is what really set my shorts on fire, and I quote again " you bought the bike, itÂ’s your problem". Wow less than 2k miles and 2 months old with a cracked engine block from a chain snap. Short version- State farm kicked up for the $4,000.00 repair and did not raise the rate. Average waiting time from Ducati for FAULTY SPEEDOÂ’S AND BLINKERS- 4 MONTHS. ThatÂ’s right, 4 months. I guess I was not the only one having problemsÂ… I love my DucatiÂ’s, I just donÂ’t like the company any longer.

Motor life: As strong as this bike is I really don't see very many problems in the future. It is very difficult to really push the bike to its limits on the street without going to jail. Just like any bike, if you beat the crap out of it on the track every weekend you have to repair and replace things.

Reply to Sean post about dragging hard parts on the Ducati MS4: What I meant without going into to much detail was this- The MS4 has an Alan head bolts which attach the exhaust cans. The moment the bolt touches the ground you are at the edge of the tire, period. People who drag their knee never really know where the edge of the tire is. The reason for dragging the knee is because if you lose traction hopefully the knee will act as a 3rd leg and keep you from eating it by kicking you back up onto the contact patch. On the MS4 you can save a lot of "time" and stress by using this bolt as a warning sign that you are indeed at the edge of the tire.

But Sean gets paid to ride bikes and I do not. This means he knows a hell of a lot more than I do. This is just my humble opinion.

Ride the Aprilia 4.5 SXV, it will speak for itself.

turnburners is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Multistrada 1100.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #23
turnburners
Registered Member

Default Re: Your Face Is Not Meant to Smile Like This!

Let me start by saying this: I love the Aprilia 4.5. The 5.5 is another story and has a really bad rap for breaking down. My buddy has one and hates it, always in the shop and has not hit 1k miles yet. My experience to date with the "street legal 4.5" has been FANTASTIC and I beat the crap out of the thing! Now to answer your questions.

Located: Honolulu, HI

Price: $9,300. Extra $$$ to make "street legal" which is done with 0 mods to the bike but by taking it to a state inspector who confirms that the "factory baja kit" on the bike meets DOT requirements. Extra $1,000.00 but worth it!

Miles: 2600

Maintenance: Similar to Ducati and around $200 for valve adjustment. ALL SUPERMOTO BIKES require about the same amount of maintenance because they are after all, "race ready". Much, much, much cheaper than a Duc service. And Ducati Service really sucks now that they have gone mainstream. IMHO Ducati has lost their passion and become very "corporate". Quote from Ducati North America after a chain break cracked my engine block- " Well since the dealer (AN AUTHORIZED DUCATI DEALER) threw away the broken chain we will not cover it under warranty." Here is what really set my shorts on fire, and I quote again " you bought the bike, itÂ’s your problem". Wow less than 2k miles and 2 months old with a cracked engine block from a chain snap. Short version- State farm kicked up for the $4,000.00 repair and did not raise the rate. Average waiting time from Ducati for FAULTY SPEEDOÂ’S AND BLINKERS- 4 MONTHS. ThatÂ’s right, 4 months. I guess I was not the only one having problemsÂ… I love my DucatiÂ’s, I just donÂ’t like the company any longer.

Motor life: As strong as this bike is I really don't see very many problems in the future. It is very difficult to really push the bike to its limits on the street without going to jail. Just like any bike, if you beat the crap out of it on the track every weekend you have to repair and replace things.

Reply to Sean post about dragging hard parts on the Ducati MS4: What I meant without going into to much detail was this- The MS4 has an Alan head bolts which attach the exhaust cans. The moment the bolt touches the ground you are at the edge of the tire, period. People who drag their knee never really know where the edge of the tire is. The reason for dragging the knee is because if you lose traction hopefully the knee will act as a 3rd leg and keep you from eating it by kicking you back up onto the contact patch. On the MS4 you can save a lot of "time" and stress by using this bolt as a warning sign that you are indeed at the edge of the tire.

But Sean gets paid to ride bikes and I do not. This means he knows a hell of a lot more than I do. This is just my humble opinion.

Ride the Aprilia 4.5 SXV, it will speak for itself.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #24
turnburners
Registered Member

Default One last thing on the Aprilia

Above 80mph and while going straight the vibration through the bars will make your hands go numb. But after all this is a Urban Assault Vehicle, not a cruiser.

aloha,

B
Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I can't get over the Rocky robot looks.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Do the motard, dood. Why beat yourself up on the 1098?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #27
Gluge
Registered Member

no no I didn't mean there were different motor versions.

I ment there's a difference in the riding that effects the needed service interval.

street miles are MUCH easier on a motor than race miles.... I illustrate this based on the Aprila RS250 - on the street the interval is 15k bettween rebuilds. But on the track the interval is only 1K miles.

So... if the SXV only goes 45 hour on the track it's going to last a lot longer (perhaps 15x longer) on the street depending of course.

It would be interesting to know though, but I hardly think the track only figures should be taken for the street.

#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #28
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: The School of BAD Ideas

My dad told me he saved it once that way.

But yea I think 95% of the time it's not going to work... still even if it works every once in awhile that's better than nothing!

I like to hang off just because it feels better that way. Yea it can slow you down, but just give it a bit more gas, if your at the limit some extra drag isn't going to slow you down - your not wide open throttle anyway.

Some Turns though (like turn 8 at willow springs) you may be at full throttle and not at the cornering limit, it'll be faster to stay tucked in durring those.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #29
fumanchu
Founding Member

Default Re: Your Face Is Not Meant to Smile Like This!

that got posted thrice.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #30
WeeBee
Registered Member

Default Re: The School of BAD Ideas

Glad to see your recent posts-thought you had left to go racing. Tell it like it is! I prefer no hangoff/knee drag: for me it's about the lean, not absolute speed.
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote