Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Aprilia 550 V-twin Sportbike!

Actually, its two of your rides, (neither of which was free) both sacrificed to create a neato but quirky trackbike. Did I mention a lot of time spent on fabrication?

Enjoying my smugness, immensely.

- Boru

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Forbidden fruit, marketing demons

Pray for the Cagiva Mito to make it into production. I saw it at the Washington IMS and was impressed. A tasty thumper sport bike . Engine was a Husky single and projected price range was 6-9 K depending on how many of the tasty bits make it to production.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
Neal
Founding Member

I'm with you, but we are in the minority in the modern bike culture. In the day,you could make frankensteins with the hope of improving the breed...lots tried. But current bikes are so good with just a few tweaks most dont see the purpose of "Specials" It takes all kinds......
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I think that guy that built the World's Fastest Indian would understand completely.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
busa99999
Founding Member

What happened to common sense? Engines that last 3000 miles between rebuilds? How about all the new sportbikes that crack their frames from use never mind that if you crash a newer bike they are more often than not unrebuildable.A few years ago you could drop a bike and more often then not straighten a crashed bike. Now they turn to junk.
busa99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
Tadgh
Registered Member

i dont think the 4 stroke mxers are any more delicate than the 2 strokes ...sure pulling the engine apart after 100 hundred hours might seem very early but for most people who ride them thats a full season of racing....

people i think are afraid of the bigger complexity of a 4 stroke engine have nothing much to fear ..shimming the valves on most of these is a 1 hour operation at most ..except maybe the crs cos of the unicam setup...but any of the dohcs is pretty simple

i remember changing about 6 pistons one year with a cr125 ...i think the term *piston slap* was invented for cr 125s.

if you just trail ride an mxer and not race it then there is no problem once you keep on top of the maintence ...

the 450s i think now are pretty bullet proof ..the 250s not so much mainly due to the extreme high revs they have the big ends tend to wear out after 2 years or so..

but from the market they are aimed at ..people dont tend to race the same bike for over 2 years
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The number of 2-stroke engines Honda now produces can be counted on "no" hands.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote