Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 03-16-2001, 06:54 AM   #1
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: Regis Laconi Update

These guys are a lot tougher than me! Regis and all others who persevere under adversity have my full respect.

As a side note, who do you think is toughest in recent history? I'd have a hard time deciding between Duhamel and Doohan.

-Ollie

ollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2001, 08:06 AM   #2
superbikefan
Founding Member

Man, you've got that right. These guys even come back to race weeks after horrific injuries. Kenny Roberts senior and Barry Sheene come to mind from that era, racing weeks after literally breaking their backs. Wayne Gardner also comes to mind, Kevin Schwantz too, Doohan was probably the best example, but the point is there are many over the years that prove how tough these guys are.

It makes me puke when I continually hear of multimillionaire baseball players sitting out weeks because of "sore" shoulders and arms.

Roadracers show these overpaid athletes to be the pathetic,pampered, egocentric wimps they truly are. It's a shame the American public is clueless- god I hate stick and ball U.S. sports and all the media coverage they recieve.
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 08:09 AM   #3
stevegrab
Founding Member

I didn't follow GP enough until the last couple years, and then I only saw a few races. But I have to say I saw a lot of Duhamel in the last 2 years, racing with that bad leg. And in more than one case, crashing, chasing the bike down (hopping on one foot), getting the bike back up and continuing. That took a lot of grit.

I think Kurtis Roberts also put in a pretty good effort at the Daytona 200. After getting his hand banged in that first incident, he continued on, and finished 3rd. But add to that the fact he pitted once again near the end of the race, but still managed to get back out and move up into 3rd (passing some other good riders like Chandler that managed to move past him while he pitted).

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:35 AM   #4
CBR1000F
Founding Member

You have my 100% agreement there! When they went on strike because they weren't going to accept a salary cap... Well, I quit watching baseball. FOOTBALL players have a salary cap, and when was the last time you heard of a baseball player having a career-ending injury?
Old 03-16-2001, 10:06 AM   #5
dickdastardly
Founding Member

I think Doohan was the king of comebacks from

major injuries, he probably has loads of

fun going through metal detectors,

but Duhamel has also had his share of misery.

I wonder if Russell will come back from his

injuries? I hope so....
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:42 PM   #6
ckirk
Registered Member

Didn't Darryl Strawberry repeatedly damage his nose with coke? Tough guy that he was he played right through the pain, although I understand it may finally have ended his career.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:13 PM   #7
Alan
Founding Member

I agree! The general public is so unaware of motorcycling as a sport.

And regular TV stinks for any bike coverage. Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey and that's about it. I guess that is why I have

speedvision and ESPN2. Otherwise, not much worth watching...

I just had to vent this, thanks...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:26 PM   #8
TCAir
Founding Member

Ouch!!! Truth hurts.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:31 PM   #9
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Real lovers of the sport

I agree with everyone on this one. Little whinny ass baseball players and football players complaining about "my pinky hurts, I only make 10 million a year to play a game. I need to be put on the injured reserve list." I know there are some exceptions to the rule but that is pretty much it. True racers get up and go as long as the machine will still run. That is a true love of what you are doing and not taking your blessings and gifts for granted.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 12:01 PM   #10
Haga
Founding Member

Umm, Orel Hershiser... who pitched until his upper arm shattered because it was frail from chemo treatments(he also lost the arm) seems to be a pretty tough baseball player, Nolan Ryan took a ball in the nose off of Bo Jackson(only like 110mph, right?) and didn't even ask to be looked at... just wiped blood on his shirt and kept going. Not that MC racers aren't tough... but I think those of you who've not played high-level baseball(read as college or pro) don't understand what things like "sore shoulder" or "sore finger" really mean. If you could imagine being extremely tender(like a partially damaged tendon or ligament) in say, your middle finger... and then stress that finger by putting it through the EXTREME forces necessary to propel a ball say 90mph(keeping in mind the ball is going slower than your arm was), and then pushing something at that force(to aim or spin your pitch) and further extend a ligament that's already sore and WAY beyond is limits of stretching and shearing forces. I've never been able to ride like Laconi pain or no, and I'm sure it hurts, but the things baseball teams list to make them sound minor(for player psyche as well as PR), would probably sideline most of you guys and someone like Laconi(who isn't used to that type of pain) in a hurry.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote