Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Aprilia RSV 1000 R Purchase?

Anything under 200hp is underpowered.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
troli
Founding Member

I have a 2003 Tuono with 30000 km and there has been nothing wrong. just start and go. super engine with BIG fun factor. Have had many different bike like Honda VFR, VTR, supermagna, magna,goldwing all great bikes but cant match the Italian superbike. Swedish magazine wrote that Aprilia had done what none ever had done before: made a complete new bike, all new, and with no fault just working all the time.

john t norway
troli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
MotoGP_54
Founding Member

You'll like the Aprillia, it is jap reliable, fast, and sounds tits too.
MotoGP_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
ewok1
Founding Member

i wondered if anybody would ask. its the balance i think. or lack of it. i get an upset stomach from the motor. i admit i have not ridden a tuono though. just one falco and 3 or 4 mille's from different years. two were race bikes.

maybe a more upright position would be better, but i doubt it. i don't mean to disparage the bike. but for me its like buying a guzzi. ride one first because it takes some gettin used to. i wanted to love it for sure. the spec, the looks and the idea all appealed to me. but the thump did not.

i do not doubt for an instant that the tuono kicks ass. it sure should given what it is.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
pegscrapr
Founding Member

From the rumors I've heard, Aprilia will soon be replacing the 60 degree with a 90.

I've owned an RC51, and I always lusted after the Mille's. Truth is, the RC51 outperformed the Mille at the time, and also had a much nicer sounding motor... due mainly to the 90 degree set up, and chain driven cams. Best sounding twin, IMO.

The new RSV 1000's though are awesome! Fit and finish is second to none, and they're not nearly as common as a japanese sportbike.

Just make sure you put those aftermarkey Akrapovic made Aprilia pipes on it if you get it. They're fantastic.

pegscrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
squidwardo
Founding Member

I owned a 2003 Mille, and loved it. Very reliable, handled well, and had lots of steam. Parts availability was a problem, as was finding Aprilia dealers who still wanted to deal with the company. I sold her over the winter to buy one of those souless Japanese bikes. What I can tell you is don't buy one if you like to keep bikes for a year or two and then move on. Me, I needed less of a payment to afford a new house, and soon discovered there is little to no resale value for used Aprilias. If you are going to keep her for a long time though, you will not be sorry.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #17
erikblank
Founding Member

I have an 04 Tuono. The motor in Rsv is as bullet proof as anything on the market. Maintance is easy to do yourself or about the same as most jap bikes (money wise) to have done. The bad things about the bike are; 1. If the battery gets low the speedo resets from MPH to KPH. It will take you about 60 sec. to reset it after you done it 3 or 4 times. 2. The rear brake what rear brake. At best it's ok. Some days it just isn't there. 3. Some of the older cluth slaves leak. I've never had this problem. 4. Aprilia dealers have been dropping off 1 by 1. Not because of the product, but Aprilia only takes orders for bikes once a year. You order around Nov. maybe get them in April and if you sale out, good luck until next year. 5. Part from Italy can be slow, real slow. 6. Starter relay is also a weak point. 7. The forks are sprung for someone 200 lb. and the shock is sprung for someone 140 lb.

Don't get me wrong. I just wanted to inform you of the bad things. I love the brand and love my bike. If you like attention you'll love this bike. People seem to flock to them. You'll even get Harley guy's asking,"How you like your Buel?". Before you make up your mind go to www.apriliaforum.com the guy's there can be a real asset.

erikblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
vfrcarve
Founding Member

I sense an opportunity there - buy it used in the first place!
vfrcarve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:12 AM   #19
bluesman_ip
Founding Member

I have not heard any complaints about reliability problems, and I know quite a few RSV owners at work (very large campus) and off work.

IMHO: The good thing for somebody who rode i-4 is RSV engine is much less V-tweeny than 90 degrees Hondas. It has less grunt in low to midrange (not on paper, but by feel) but have still nice top-end comparing to 90 degrees. That was my impression when I rode 2003 and 2004 Mille. So - it is easier to go from i-4 to RSV than from say i-4 to 90 degrees twin.

RSV can be a bit nasty on handling - suspension is great, it's just a bit less predictable and need careful dialing in.

Big V-twins are love or hate thing. IMO - without offending Duc owner who posted above - Jap V-twins such as Superhawk and TL-S vs. 900ss or RC51 vs RSV are not any less soulfull than Italian breed, it is more about big V-twins in sport chassis that makes it fun. Deffo more fun that i-4s in exchange for less speed etc.
bluesman_ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #20
wolfpack_fan
Founding Member

RC51 has gear-driven cams I believe, like the older VFRs...definitely adds to the character.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote