Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 09-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Grum
Registered Member

Default What's the point?

In Australia there are fiercly enforced road rules - you just don't ride fast if you want to keep out of jail. So what's the point of a bike this quick? Harley's got it figured with big torque and comfort, not outright speed.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: What's the point?

The point is that bikes like the Tuono have a nice stiff chassis and responsive handling. This means that they are satisfying to ride even when you're obeying the speed limit.

Of course that's pure conjecture on my part, cause nobody I know has ever knowingly "obeyed" any traffic laws anywhere on this planet when riding a Tuono. -Sean
Old 09-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Don_Crafts
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R

A very hot looking bike to be sure. An insanely powerful naked. Though I must say the steering damper looks odd hanging out in front of the forks.

Don_Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
bikervince
Founding Member

Yeah, but what's up with that Orange/White/Black paint scheme with blue wheels??? Did they outsource to BMW for the paint job?

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
SRMark
Founding Member

Throw in the upgrades and offer a plane white wrapper so I can paint it myself and I'll be there. It looks pure but that paint and blue wheels gotta go. And yes, I'm 50 something and come from an older school of design. You younger guys can have the edgy graphics.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:52 AM   #6
pdad13
Founding Member

I'm not sold on the red/white scheme, either. I've seen the silver/charcoal version, too, and that one works better for me.

But I've got to agree with Sean. While powerful bikes can be frustrating to ride close-to-legal speeds, still nothing beats a bike that is responsive and suspended well. And if you want torque, you've got it here.

I rode a cruiser for a little while the other day. Sorry, it just didn't do much for me. Fat, slow turning and imprecise.

But different strokes and all that...

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Just follow the same advice proferred by those who recommend 600 supersports and literbikes to newbies:

"Just exercise restraint."

Heh heh. Go ahead. I dare ya'.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle! Hopefully that is a Euro paint scheme.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:21 AM   #9
Grum
Registered Member

I have to admit that 'restraint' was not very high on the agenda as I test rode a bike last week - following the sales rep guy (or, rather, trying to keep up)

I love FAST and have almost tripled the local speed limits in several places ... but ... as far as sensible long term ownership and self preservation ... maybe I should buy a car. No, just kidding.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #10
hubbwood
Registered Member

Well, it looks like at least Aprilia has addressed what I considered the biggest wart on the old bike – the Clorox bottle stuck on the right side. Now it just looks like a Clorox bottle with some black grooves in it. Better, but still pretty f’ugly.

I test piloted this bike and ended up buying a Monster S4R instead. I just couldnÂ’t get on with the riding position (an odd combination of Motocross bars and very rear-set pegs). IÂ’m a size 9.5 boot, and my heal was actually resting on the swing arm and I felt like my torso was flapping up in the breeze. IMHO, lower risers and some adjustable rear-sets would go a long way.

Peace.

hubbwood is offline   Reply With Quote