Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 05-26-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Bigger AinÂ’t Necessarily Better

With 70 hp and 350 lbs. I believe I'd be first in line.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 AM   #2
maladg
Registered Member

WhoooHoooo!

Maybe the beginnings of a trend? I'm already thinking motard type bike with a comfy seat.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
edward44
Founding Member

Apilia won the FIM supermoto championship first time out with this motor proving that a good multi will beat a good single any day-as if that needed to be proved. I haven't seen the article but I believe they are working on a 550cc version which would compete with the Japs and probably cost 10k making it a niche bike at best. The supermoto version seems to have the best future here. I certainly would give serious consideration to buying one in either sport or supermoto configuration.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:04 AM   #4
bod
Founding Member

Ahh I see the rebirth of the true Ujm remember the Honda Ascot FT. I love these type of bikes long on suspension easy on the butt. Next we will be wearing bell bottoms and riding 50cc scoots around singing "Isn't it lovely".
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:10 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better

I think the Japanese 4 will soon have a 350 lb. 170 hp bike. Now THAT is scary!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
chingbaby
Registered Member

I'm all in favor of returning to smaller displacement "real" motorcycles. Look at what is available right now in terms of less than 600cc bikes. Rebel? Only the Ninja 250s, 500s, and the GS500 seem to be real bikes, just smaller displacement.

I recently got a 250 Ninja, rejetted it, and lost 15 lbs by swapping out the pipes. It is so much fun to ride such a light bike. Now if I could only get a 350 or 400 in the same package. Remember the FZR400 and Honda's CB-1 (I think that was the model, it was a naked 400cc in line 4)? Bring 'em back!
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default $10K Niche Bike.

Yeah, if it's Aprila or Italian, it's gonna be pricy! But with a Tuono not being too outrageous, I'm sorta hoping the SXV sport-bike comes in around $9K. Okay, that's a fool's hope but I can dream. If nothing else, it might set a precedent that the Big-4 might follow. Suzuki did it with the V-Stom in the adventure-tourer segment, and the price was thousands lower. I got my fingers crossed.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
christian_gates
Founding Member

Actually, I knew this one girl and she kind of implied...well I guess her point was that a full 150HP was preferable to 70HP.

And now, let the bomb-throwing begin! Ha ha!
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #9
bod
Founding Member

Yeah and this one time at band camp
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better

The UJM's will be commiting economic sepuku if they don't bring back smaller bikes. Triumphs biggest seller is the Bonneville, a very managable 65 horse power, low seat standard bike that's innexpensive as opposed to cheap and a blast to ride. Harley's 883 Sporty is an easy bike to ride, BMW has the 650, Ducati has the 620. The common thread in all those bikes is that they're not intimidating yet still cool looking and fun to ride.

By putting all their eggs in either full-on 600 supersports or retro V twins the Japanese are slowly moving away from the new riders needed to keep the sport going. Remember "From Mighty to Mini Honda has it all"? Now Suzuki and Kawasaki have the entry market covered.

Edward, check my spelling please, there's a good boy...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote