Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Aprilia News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/)
-   -   Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/2810-bigger-ain-t-necessarily-better.html)

pattonme 05-26-2005 08:23 AM

it will be my first-ever new bike purchase

Granted not having 7-10Large kicking around has biased me toward buying nicely used $4000 bikes sport tourer/standards. But then again you couldn't pay me enough to own most of the hyper bikes of the last 10 years anyway.

I would actually look for a way to buy an RS450.

pattonme 05-26-2005 08:29 AM

Re: Harley Has Had Some Really Good Ideas.

it's "seppuku" double consonants are required when there is a hang-up in the pronouciation. Only 'mercans say 'sepuku' and think that's a real word.

SRMark 05-26-2005 09:02 AM

Re: Bigger AinÂ’t Necessarily Better

But that would still be a Suzuki. I'm hoping for a 650 tuono-type bike at a decent price. Hey, I can dream. And the cute little underseat stinger of an exhaust that is found on the motard would be just fine by me.

christian_gates 05-26-2005 09:39 AM

Why not 300? I mean, a SS is about 375 dry and say 410 or so wet.

I'm not saying that 350 is a bad figure, but 300 would really catch the eye. I don't think a free pass for a 70HP bike in the weight department is in our collective best interests.

cdg

Brent_Meeker 05-26-2005 11:59 AM

I have a '95 RS250 that makes 60hp and weighs 310lb. I love it, but it looks like the SXV engine would bolt straigt in. More may not always be better, but 70hp would be better than 60hp.

Brent Meeker

pdad13 05-26-2005 12:33 PM

Apparently, you forget...

...that I proposed that carbon fiber arm chaps be included on the GPTB list of official apparel months ago.

Dryfly 05-26-2005 01:53 PM

I'm heading to Arkansas! Honey, I'll be home after I run through every twisty in the state!

obandoj 05-26-2005 02:08 PM

Well if I'm going to dream I might as well wish for 70HP, 225 Lbs, state of the art boingers and brakes, decent ergos and less than $10.000 MSRP, now, who do I send my deposit to?

jungkvist 05-26-2005 02:21 PM

Wow! We could be talking ligher.

Funny, I thought they were heavier than that...after picking up mine. I knew Suzuki claimed 365lbs, but I always figured that was standard spec-sheet propoganda. Anyway, I'm sure the SV is under 400lbs. Though considering that, the Aprilia could end-up being even lighter - maybe 320lbs (off the top of my head).

The point is, lighter and more agile is better - at-least in my book. The SV is my all-time favorite bike, it just lacked suspension and the throttle was spiky. Truth is, if it wasn't for a girlfriend I'd still have mine, and I probably would have attended to the suspension. The throttle was another matter; mine had carbs, so remapping the FI wasn't an option.

jungkvist 05-26-2005 03:18 PM

I'll grant you that, however...

I realize that Suzuki doesn't up-scale the SV because they want to keep it an entry level bike. That makes sense. Why would anyone want to compromise a product that has a track-record of bringing in new customers, and possibly hurt sales on their other units in the process? But, doing it myself would be damned inconvenient!

Your figure was just-about what I came up with, for what the parts would cost. And, I probably would have done it, if I hadn't sold the SV I had. Still, those sorts of things come cheaper from the factory. Furthermore, I wouldn't need to go parts shopping, or bust my knuckles doing the work.

Honestly: if the Aprilia comes out, I can't imagine myself buying one. However, It's a great idea! And, if the Big-4 takes up the idea, even better!