Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Aprilia News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/)
-   -   Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/2810-bigger-ain-t-necessarily-better.html)

edward44 05-26-2005 04:17 AM

Re: Bigger AinÂ’t Necessarily Better

Yeah, scary if the frames take to breaking like dry twigs under cornering stress. I seem to recall Sport Rider commenting that they have discovered that the latest gereration of lighter sport bikes were more susceptical to crash damage. They didn't elaborate and I assumed they were talking about misalignment problems. Or was it something more sinister...

jungkvist 05-26-2005 04:23 AM

And don't all of us just-need something like that.

That's the last thing l'd like to see. My idea of a perfect spor-bike would be a 350lb SV-650, with very little bodywork, a fully adjustable suspension and a humane riding-position. In other words, something I could use, ride, have fun on , and still survive the experence.

monsters4 05-26-2005 04:28 AM

Anyone know how sales of the new DRZ400SM are going? I saw one at a track day a couple weeks ago and was impressed with how well it performed. If it sells well will others be far behind?

bbtowns 05-26-2005 04:31 AM

I can't help but think that this bike is going to play well in Europe, but much less so in the United States where huge displacement, push rods, and air cooling are the desired motor configuration; at least in the eyes of the manufacturers. Let's hope this is an exception!

red916 05-26-2005 04:31 AM

Well, My 1988 NT650 Hawk with 1mm over bore, exhaust porting, intake matching, proper jetting and an old Kevin Erion era Kerker megaphone pipe makes about 72hp, and the bike weighs in at 355lbs in street trim. Do I really NEED to tell you what I do with that bike?

edward44 05-26-2005 04:42 AM

"innexpensive"? However I am in 100% agreement with your remarks. The European range of Nip bikes is much greater than here. Probably because the Melican buyer is so peer driven. Godda have a big v cruiser. Or a liter bike. The nearest Honda dealer doesn't have a single new sport bike on in the showroom floor. Just a few old ones gathering dust. Probably took them in trade on a real bike.

nweaver 05-26-2005 04:47 AM

Scuderia West already has deposits down...

At least 6 customers at Scuderia West (the SF aprilia dealer) have reportedly put down deposits on RS450/Tuono 450, so they can have them if/when Aprilia makes them.

nweaver 05-26-2005 04:48 AM

Re: Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better

DRZ-SM was made in VERY limited numbers this year. EG, only 80 were avaliable in California. They have effectively all sold out in the state, except for a couple going way over list, IIRC.

seruzawa 05-26-2005 04:51 AM

Many many years after the demise of the mid-displacement 2 stroke twin finally a manufacturer is moving toward recreating that sort of bike. I'm glad to see it. Think Titanlike engine performance in a modern chassis/suspension. Groovy. Far out. Right on. It won't sound as bytchen as a wailing two-stroke but, hey, it's still a good move.

seruzawa 05-26-2005 04:54 AM

Maybe Aprilia could offer a free Hondells CD with each purchase.