Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
ycws
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia - Say it aint so!

Just yesterday did I upchuck a thought about my Aprilia for the 2004 Shoot-out - and today this. Get Bush to pay the measely 147mil needed. Oh, wait, I forgot, US politicians (Arnie excluded) prefer to drive over rather than with motorcyclists...

I agree with Sean in that it is more likely that somebody will take over Aprilia (and it's assets: Ducati is showing interest in Moto Guzzi). This may well come from a non-motorcycle company (automotive?), just like MV Agusta recently.

On the other hand, if production stops my bike will be like a Norton in a couple of years, a collectors item ($$$). Ok, a couple of decades...
ycws is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 AM   #2
F451
Founding Member

Since the Italian's have an aged since of culture, I trust they will pull this one off and Aprilia will prosper. I sure would miss Aprilia and what it brings to the table of the motorcycling world.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Guzzi is on the block and if Duc doesn't buy the brand I will, at that point, conclude that most Italians are truly nuts. I had no idea the money problems with Aprilia would lead to shutting down the operation. The rumors say that there are money bags out there for Aprilia to pick up but who really knows. If I were Petronas I'd be talking to Foggy about the idea of aquisition. Foggy, I believe, would not be unhappy about using the resources and R&D done by Aprilia to advance the FP1 effort. The two companies have taken different approaches to racing but both efforts are solid and expanding the Petronas line could only help get the street motorcycles effort rolling with a little more steam. I would hate to see some wanker automobile company buy Aprilia and screw it up. The real looser will be Laverda. That brand is toast. Here's one for you, how about HD allowing the Buell brand to buy Aprilia. The money's there. Buell would suddenly take a leap forward and may actually be able to be competitive in superbike/supersport racing. Just something to think about.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:15 AM   #4
maladg
Registered Member

Just another day in the long, troubled history of the Italian bike industry. Since when are Aprilia, Ducati or MotoGuzzi NOT teetering on the brink?...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:26 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

For those of you who constantly harp that Harley-Davidson should build modern sportbikes. I give you Aprilia.

We can all agree Aprilia makes wonderful motorcycles. How many of us own one?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:42 AM   #6
bdesmo
Founding Member

Aprilia's misfortune was not an unforeseen event here in Europe. Beggio's fortune was entirely based on being a giant scooter manaufacturer. The motorcycle ambition was to be able to challenge the Japanese in Europe and become the world's 5th largest motorcycle company. He used the cash flow from scoooter sales to gear up for motorcycles, first the development of the RSV and then outbidding Ducati for Moto Guzzi and acquiring Laverda. When Italy's scooter market tanked (down 43%) the party was over. My personal belief is that Rotax of Austria will take on the motorcycle side of the equation, it won't be terribly expensive and they already make the Pegaso & RSV engines. The scooter franchise is another issue and one where the fighting will be intense. Keep watching.
bdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 AM   #7
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

Mis-management of financial assets and excessive aquisitions, leading to a high overhead eating any profits, have way more to do with this than the fact that Aprillia made bikes that leaned to the sporting side.

If man was meant to ride only cruisers, then why where corners invented?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:49 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

I own two sportbikes, both of them Italian. Think you can drag up some US and worldwide sales numbers for non-Japanese sportbikes? I'll bet Honda sells more bikes in a week than the others do in a year.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 AM   #9
bdesmo
Founding Member

I almost forgot, BMW is in on this as well. Talks apparently had been underway for Aprilia to at least partly manufacture/assemble the new F650 whe it comes out in 2006. They have a stake in this one too.
bdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 AM   #10
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

So, let see if I understand that logic:

Honda sells more bikes in a week than than others do in a year..... So why compete against Honda in any style of motorcycle? Heck, HD might as well give up production of bikes all together, since Honda sells more bikes than they do.

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote