Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Aprilia News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/)
-   -   Aprilia - Say it aint so! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/2382-aprilia-say-aint-so.html)

EdgyDrifter 04-29-2004 11:08 AM

Re: Aprilia - Say it aint so!

Not to mention submarines, parts for F-15s and F-16s, and 60% of all the industrial gas turbines sold in the entire world.

To state the obvious: Kawasaki is large.

Buzglyd 04-29-2004 11:13 AM

Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

i think I'm working on about three of them right now.

Buzglyd 04-29-2004 11:15 AM

The world must have run out of sissies.

seruzawa 04-29-2004 11:32 AM

People foolishly believe that since the Hummers originally were developed by the military they would be reliable. WWII was a long time ago. Much military stuff designed since the 40's is overpriced high maintenance stuff.

A lot of it is really unreliable. M-16s, Apache Choppers, etc.

seruzawa 04-29-2004 11:35 AM

I'm trying an experiment. Sort of like rewarding your dog for being nice.

Now if only I could apply the 50,000 volts when he acts up.

nomad76 04-29-2004 11:51 AM

Don't forget that Japanese corporate culture -- and Japanese culture in general -- is not Western culture. There is a business custom known as tobashi (literally "flying") that denotes it is more important to look financially healthy than to actually be financially healthy. In Japan, being the best is honorable, while keeping the books straight is not of the highest importance. Business, after all, is a fairly abstract concept in modern times. If you are perceived as successful, than you are successful.

There could be thousands of Enron-type scandals in Japan, but no one particularly cares if the companies are actually making the kind of money they project. The culture actually encourages lying rather than giving bad news -- I've had first-hand experience with this, as has anyone who has traveled to Japan. So even if hard numbers supporting the idea of not losing money on these bikes are found, there's no guarantee of their accuracy!

And if anyone doubts this, why is the 599 $7k when it uses decade-old technology? Is Honda maybe trying to fill the gaps? Hmmm?

seruzawa 04-29-2004 12:16 PM

You're supposed to have a couple of dirt bikes in there too.

dean_1 04-29-2004 04:20 PM

Does this mean I can get a good deal on a Capo Nord?

dean_1 04-29-2004 04:46 PM

Well actually you can manufacture high quality, leading edge durable goods. You just need a financial model that allows a reasonable period to recoup your costs, a diversified product line to capture enough market to support these costs (that are not evenly distributed across the product line), accept that R&D/engineering costs will be higher than your competition and cultivate an investor base that accepts this model. Japan has this environment and although they have probably peaked they expect to have a stable economy based on converting raw materials into finished goods. They ain't sourcin' parts from Harley or anyone else in the world.

bdesmo 04-29-2004 11:16 PM

Apparently when they introduced mandatory helmet laws and enforced them!!!!! in other words if you're going to wear a helmet ride a propoer bike.