Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #61
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia - Say it aint so!

why are scooter sales down 43%?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #62
478cc
Founding Member

Default Hellloooooooooo!!!! JB.....???? Anybody home....???????

<blockquote>People started to see this coming LAST AUGUST after more than one dealer mentioned trouble in the Aprilia Channel...and all the readership got from you MOrons when asked to check it out was a smug "..We haven't heard any rumors of immanent demise over at Aprilia... except for this one, that is.--MO

You run a well connected shop there, JB...(..er..exactly WHAT was it again that differentiates you guys from being yet another set of naiive motojounalists mindlessly regurgitating everything told to them by the marketing reps in the Pasta and Massage tent at Mugello?). Geesh!

(The rest of your stuff is pretty good though...so I guess we'll have to spare you the "..I bet Mitch would have found out about it.." reparte'

Just hope that Mr. Beggio can keep them afloat--as Sean writes, they do build some incredible motorcycles!

Health Check for Aprilia North America?

Posted on Sunday, August 03 @ 15:54:57 PDT by staff

478cc writes "Reality Check Pls - In looking to purchase an Aprilia Futura have thrice crossed an ugly rumor that Aprilia is seriously downsizing it's presence and retail channel in North America due to current market conditions and excessive back inventory.

Despite being a bit of a "niche" product, have seen lots of new 01/02s remaining on the dealer floors, special financing on New Old Stock, etc; doesn't foster tons of confidence, esp. for the longterm existance of a reliable support network. Appreciate any feedback. Tnx!

5'11" :: 200 lbs. :: Age 47:: Bitter-No :: Concerned-Yes

We haven't heard any rumors of immanent demise over at Aprilia... except for this one, that is.--MO

478cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #63
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think it went "What's good for GM is good for America"
Old 04-29-2004, 07:25 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: HEY DUDE

How are the Triumphs for braintank mounting?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think he also said GM doesn't makes cars. GM makes money.

Of course that was right before GM's market share tanked.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #66
SRMark
Founding Member

Still beats the hell out of my Dodge pickpup but not as much fun I bet If I were a drop of gas I'd rather be burned in a Brutale than just about anything else.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:31 AM   #67
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

I have a feeling that the Japanese will be in the same boat the Brits were in the late '60s once the Chinese drop down the learning curve a bit. There can be only one low cost producer and I don't see anyone doing that better than China. There rest must compete on quality, service or some perceived blend of both. Makes Harley look all the smarter. Carve a niche and circle the wagons. Let the tariff wars begin.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #70
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Rotax actually has a long history...

KTM has used a lot of rotax engines, the F650 bimmers were also a rotax single. I believe the 650 Pegassio (aprillia) was also the same engine. A large part of Rotax's entire business model is designing engines for other people.

Also, rotax is GOING to want an excuse to develop a 600cc-1L I3, I4, or narrow-angle V4. As a result, they would probably sell it reasonably cheaply if a big company (say Buell if we can dream, BMW if they ever want to do a REAL sportbike rather than a heavy busa-clone) would come up to the plate with a serious offer.

This is because although rotax has no presence in the complete motorcycle business, as Bombadier (the snowmobile division) and SeaDoo (the JetSki division) are both smarting from the emisions regulations. 2-strokes are getting pretty well banned for both snowmoblie and jetski use in large areas.

It's been these emission regs which has allowed both Yamaha (jetski and snowmobile powered by an R1 derived lump) and Honda (jetski with one-off tripple), and Kawasaki to inflate its lead (jetski with ZX12R derived engine).

The Japanese have also gotten into the game, selling engines. Suzuki has sold 650 and 1000 V-twins (SV650/TL1000 engines) to Cagiva, and there was talk (but I think it died) of the Gileria 600cc powered by a GSXR-6k engine.

Likewise, Honda is selling RC51 engines to Mondial (Mondial Piega) and the new Vincent
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote