Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #31
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default There goes my dream bike...

So much then for the RSV450. Maaaan, that would have been one helluva sweet ride. Small like a 250 at 300lbs, with a thumping new v-twin putting down about 70-80hp. Now what am I going to lust after while I save my pennies? I hadn't been so excited about a rumored bike since, since, well sheeyit man, I just don't know. Don't get me wrong, the 600s and liter bikes of the world sure are sweet, but at the moment they're just too much bike for my skill level. Damn. The RSV450 would have been just perfect. Life sucks.

P.S. Yo Sean, did you get my email?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #32
rapier
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia - Say it aint so!

Need I remind everyone that manufacturing is a tough to often a nearly impossible way to make money. Why do you think manufacturing has shed 3 million jobs in the US the last 4 years, which is kind of an exclaimation point on a 40 year trend? It is incredibly difficult to make a good product. It so much easier to make huge money by purely financial means that the best people all over the first world have abondoned manufacturing.

These things come to a head every time because of debt. The day comes when some sort of default happens, and that's that.

The amount of debt in every sector of the world economy including manufacturing is staggering. Ford is for all practial purposes bankrupt. They have $22 in debt for every dollar in real equity.

Anyone taking over Aprilla or parts of it will add more debt. I suppose there are willing takers since there always seem to be, for now. Someday, perhaps soon, the money will run out. Take a good look at Aprilla people because it just another canary in the mine shaft.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

I've been working on him myself about the Triumph, hoping he'll show some class.

It makes all us Puget Sound are rider look bad when he acts like a nimrod
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

That's "Puget Sound area riders"

I was typing that while my kids are bickering, as usual
Old 04-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Thats a fact. cruisers are their cash cows, sportbikes don't turn a profit with the R&D expenditures requiered for the two year development cycles.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Large Chicago Based Aerospace Company let McDonald Douglas buy them with their own money, hired the management team that ran them into the ground, then wonders why Airbus is handing them their butts.

Thank god they left here for Chicago, let them put up with 'em
Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #37
gceaves
Registered Member

Ducati to make offer for Moto Guzzi (Ducati punta a Moto Guzzi)

Il Sole 24 Ore - Italy; Apr 23, 2004

Italian motorcycle producer Ducati announced yesterday that it was interested in buying fellow Italian producer Moto Guzzi from its cash-strapped owner, Italian motor scooter and motorcycle group Aprilia. Ducati said that it will make a formal offer in the next few weeks, then proceed with due diligence. Ducati's share price closed at 1.318 euros yesterday, down by 0.23 per cent.

Aprilia, which originally bought Moto Guzzi for 132bn euros, registered sales of 538m euros in 2003, with a break-even result before one-time charges, and net debt of 220m euros on shareholders' equity of 76.5m. The group, which has stopped production due to lack of supplies, has applied to seven Italian creditor banks for a bridge loan, and yesterday appealed to the Italian government to intervene in the matter. Trade union sources say that the group needs about 30m euros in order to resume production.

Original article by Ma. Mass.

Abstracted from Il Sole 24 Ore

gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

He'd be crazy to pass up some of the deals that are available for the '03 Speed Triples that are around.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm sure your mileage would improve if you hadn't reverse your throttle return spring. The throttle is supposed to close when you let go of it, not spring wide open.

Just trying to help.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #40
Vlad
Registered Member

I'm always sorry to see a brand go down. Unfortunately, Aprilia tried to climb too far, too fast. Indian built copies of Harleys. Aprilia tried to copy Ducati. Trying to copy someone else doesn't work unless you've got the expertise to do it better. I rode one of the early 1000s. My response was, "not bad, but no better than what the Japanese are producing." Did I think it could rival a Ducati in handling? In a word, no. Maybe the newer bikes are better, as I know Sean is in love with the Tuono. I trust his judgment. It's probably a great machine. But their first forays into the market were with non distinct bikes. I could not imagine spending the dollars required to mount an RSV when for a little more I could get a 996. Plus their dealer relations often sucked. Triumph has built very distinct triples, plus they have had the sense to reach back into their past and put out a true retro bike. Triumph did it right. Aprilia and Indian did it wrong. Guzzi will likely survive. They are truly unique bikes with a very loyal customer base and a unique feel. Still, I'm sad to see them go.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote