Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Struggling Too

It is a miracle to me that anyone outside of Honda and HD can afford to produce a line of motorcycles. Startup costs are high and the economic risk/profit ratio must be enormous. Surely the motorcycle industry, aside from the marquee names and pretenders to the throne, must be a tough sell to investors on paper. It's the classic passion vs. profit scenario. Thank goodness there are visionaries out there who are willing to take risks to produce cool motorcycles. Good luck Aprilia and MG!
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

There you go guys, pick up an Aprilia and a Moto-Guzzi and you'll have an instant collector....Better run!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
tomhorn
Founding Member

H-D buy Aprilia? Didn't Steve Schieb say that 60 degree V-twins just wouldn't work?(obcure VR-1000 reference). Think what Eric Buell could do with access to RSV1000 mills.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
Jexter
Founding Member

Think what Eric Buell could do with access to RSV1000 mills.

Bore it out to ~1200cc, rip off the radiator, shove it into a bicycle frame, and put a big ol' rear tire on it. Somehow, it would manage > 3 G's when turning.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

Awwwww...They can't go under! I had my lustful eye on a Tuono or Falco.

Maybe if we take up a collection...

Wouldn't mind seeing HD come to the rescue as long as they don't introduce the FXDLLXRYZ Fat Boy Mille FXRSV (weighing in at a svelte 670 lbs. with chrome and billet accessories. MSRP of $37,999...plus $1500 dealer markup).

Seriously, I don't see it happening. Seems like HD has got a pretty serious commitment to Buell. Taking on Aprilia would cannibalize from them too much and also doesn't fit into the American-made market position. Plus, Buells already get short shrift at Harley dealers. Where they gonna put the Aprilias?

As far as I know, Aprilia doesn't have a strong existing dealer network in the U.S., either. It could work outside the U.S., but I'm sure this country is their biggest target. But who knows?

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
tomhorn
Founding Member

Yeah, and make it vibrate like a worn-out hardware store paint shaker at idle.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Pacer
Founding Member

Tell him to call Rotax.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote