Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 08-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Health Check for Aprilia North America?

I was set to buy a futura when they first came out but opted for my BMW instead. After my brothers ducati had to wait months for parts from italy, I didnt want the same thing to happen to me. None the less a sport tourer out in the middle of nowhere waiting months for parts is not a good thing. Add in the very very limited dealer network and presto, you could be stuck in (insert favorite sparcely populated state with killer roads here) for a very long time...

Sux because the futura still does it for me, but then again I wouldnt trade my K12RS for anything... Finally got to sit on a FJR and I am even more happy with my BMW after the fact. Granted the FJR friggin rips but just doesnt tingle the loins...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #2
rider_md
Founding Member

First re: the thread. interesting, but yeah like MO, I haven't heard of any imminent demise of Aprilia. Yeah, they're trying to liquidate old stock, but that was like the 998s and 748s... free maintenace and massive discounts / good financing. (of course funny thing is, i can't seem to find a 998 to save my life now... i wonder what that says about the 999?)

12er,

funny you say that about having a italian sport-tourer... i was thinking the same thing when looking for a sport bike with bags and solid ergos. i really was interested in a futura (the ST4 is just plain ugly)... but thinking about being stranded in the middle of fu.cking nowhere without dealer support within 1000 miles kinda concerned me... (just a tad) on top of that, if you were lucky enough, not having the part for weeks... to years...hehe

that said, choices got narrowed down between honda & bmw... (didn't like other japanese offerings)

funny you were thinking the same thing i was.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
Vlad
Registered Member

I know that Aprilia is still agressively pursuing new dealers, so that would not jive with the rumor. However, the ways of italian business are strange.

By the way, the solution to a Ducati parts problem is usually found by a quick call to some of the older Ducati dealers, many of whom have built up a stock of spares that exceeds what is readily available from Ducati north America.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 AM   #4
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Wait until your BMW breaks down in BF Utah, or better yet WY. No dealers within 500 miles.

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
john
Founding Member

Keep in mind that aprilia IS a large company. Larger than Ducati. They are very established in the rest of the world because of their traditional sales, scooters.

They are, however, only getting bigger. And, i think there are a few things, like the new Mille's coming out that will give Aprilia sales and dealers an extra kick in the pants.

Remember, the Mille, and its Motor, were really the first big bike made by aprilia. I think they did quite well, and i expect them only to improve.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

LOL!
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
bikpaintr
Founding Member

Check out all the full page ads Aprilia is running in the national mags. Doesn't look like they're cutting back to me.

I rode the K12RS & R1100S while shopping for a new bike last year. The S was fun but the big K needs to go on a serious diet. I took the Futura out for a long demo ride & had to have one. I've put 10K on my 02 with no problems & the bike gets better every day! Check out RST1000.org for some accurate info & a great list.

As far as parts availability goes 3-5 days seems to be the average if not in stock. On my last cross country trip I was riding a 907ie & my wife was on her R1100RS. We hit 4 BMW dealers out west trying to replace a leaking oil pressure switch. No luck, had to ride back to Ct. with it weeping. THe "unreliable" Italian bike made the 8K trip with no problems for the 2nd time in 3 years. One Futura owner on our list has put 52k on in 18 months & hasn't even needed a valve adjustment! Buy the bike, you will love it.
bikpaintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
478cc
Founding Member

Thanks (to most) for the helpful feedback-</br>

"First we've heard of the rumors of immanent Demise over at Aprilia --MO" </br> Gimme a break...[What else could I expect from a spoonfed motojournalist who's sole scope of focus is "track day on a Mille...", somewhere in So-Cal (along with obligatory manufacturer sponsored sushi tent, ass kissing salon and masseur'?) ] If/when Aprilia had any market reduction, impact on such a niche company would be a major problem for us "average Joe"pay-to-ride types. (Bigger companies then Aprilia have had a tough time lately...IBM, CA, United, American, Delta, Cisco...capiche'?)</br></br>And now for some of the useful posts:</br>

"..After my brothers ducati had to wait months for parts from italy, I didnt want the same thing to happen to me. None the less a sport tourer out in the middle of nowhere waiting months for parts is not a good thing..." Ditto

"..I know that Aprilia is still agressively pursuing new dealers, so that would not jive with the rumor. However, the ways of italian business are strange..." Exactly; a friend is a parter in a Duc dealership and has been waiting MONTHS for a chip/pipes/etc for the shop's own 999s...major pain.

"...Remember, the Mille, and its Motor, were really the first big bike made by aprilia. I think they did quite well, and i expect them only to improve..." Great Point.

"..Yeah, they're trying to liquidate old stock, but that was like the 998s and 748s... free maintenace and massive discounts / good financing.." Yup, BMW too!

[b] ..Thanks again the the help [b]
478cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
478cc
Founding Member

Great info. Will check out RST1000.org asap. Thanks BikPaintr!
478cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
1rider
Founding Member

As an Tuono owner (recently purchased, 2K+mi.) I've been very happy with the bikes performance. The fact that the dealership network isn't what other bike manufs are, is viewed by me as a plus. The service and attention I get at my "local" dealer can't be beat! I think that the good service is a direct result of the small shop. The knowlege of the bikes and attention to details, when service is needed, has left me feeling good about the purchase.

I think, and hope too, aprilia will be around for the long haul. If for some reason they crap out, there's always Yamaha and the R1 !!!
1rider is offline   Reply With Quote