Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 07-29-2003, 03:41 AM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Does too.

The RC 51 is the current superbike entry for honda, why can't it spank some upstart eye-tye scooter company?

Could it be that honda's engineering skill died with Soiciro?

Maybe Aprilia will sell them some engines and frames so they can be competitive?

Maybe Baba-san can design a competitive twin for them?

Maybe they can just deny there's a problem, then withdraw from all the class's they can't win at.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2003, 03:51 AM   #42
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Relax young man

You've already reached the dizzying heights of engineering sophistication known only to owners of the VFR, Concours and SV650.

Why waste your time and energy lusting after some Italian slattern when you already own the worlds finest bike.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:55 AM   #43
mwesterl
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Feedback

When I first saw the prototypes... I thought the bike(s) looked awesome. Now that I see them all dressed up, I'm not so sure. At a quick glance, it looks like a RC51 front end with some '02+ R1 'sharpness' in the bodywork with a VFR-like tail. The graphics try hard, but are still a little bland looking to me. I like the older styles and graphics better. As a whole though, I'd expect the bikes to look a lot better in person.

Tech wise, these things are beautiful...
mwesterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:26 AM   #44
gniewko
Registered Member

When I first saw pictures of this bike - from the side - I thought it looked awesome. Then I saw the front view. What the hell were they thinking when they designed the front? There is just too much going on around the headlights, and the ram-air duct is just horrible. Along with the Kawasaki Z1000, this is probably one of the worst-looking front designs on current sportbikes. It looks like it was designed by a committee, and everyone slaped a piece they liked onto the front of the poor motorcycle. Same thing with the paint job - too busy, not classy enough, it just doesn't hold together. Overall I like the shape of the bike, and I do like the rear of it a lot. Except for the atrocious front and paintjob, it looks like it was inspired quite a bit by the MV Augusta F4.

-Gniewko
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 AM   #45
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Feedback

Let's not get carried away here......the Aprilia looks good.....for an Aprilia. It doesn't even come close to an R1 (especially the pre-'02 ones.)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:10 AM   #46
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Go ahead and flame me!

I'm sure I'll rile up all you racer boys with this next sentence. Personally the 2004 Buell XB12R and S has way better looks than this Aprilia. At least the Buell shows the motor. The Aprilia looks just like any other crotch rocket for sale except they'll want way too much for it. I'm sure it is a great bike but nothing new in the looks department. If I were inclined to get a race rocket I would research each bike mechanically and find the one with the least plastic that would eventually have to be replaced when it goes down on its side. That would rule out the Aprilia.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 AM   #47
Mooner
Founding Member

I Really like this thing. I also think it's great that they point out the vast weight savings on the "Factory" model by anodizing the wheels rather than painting them, and by having wheel data engraved rather than embossed. Just think, if you left the covers off the valve stems, it would really be light. Gotta reduce that unsprung weight!
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 AM   #48
Tigercub
Founding Member

It's a stunner from the side and rear. But the front reminds me of a Ford Edsel.

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:44 AM   #49
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Go ahead and flame me!

I think it all depends on perspective. Many would argue that all cruisers look the same. Valid anaysis of the plastic being something that inevitably will get scratched.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:19 AM   #50
VMan_1
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Feedback

I bet you also think a Mustang looks better then a Modena. The R1 is nicely "styled" (especially in the black/silver "paint scheme" - what do you think about the red/black/white one???) but is not a "design" with any significant conceptual ideology. It will not represent the best design of our times 20 years from now. Actually, the 2000 R1 is a better, more complete design, with details that don't overwhelm the bike.
VMan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote