Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 06-23-2003, 03:41 PM   #31
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: VFR/Futura Question

Hey, I bought a '03 VFR about a month and a half and 3,000 miles ago. Wondering how the power commander helps out with the v-tech 7k spike (er...dip...). It seems that if it were a few hundred RPM lower it would make better use of the power (more linear). Also wondering if it helped out on the surging at really low RPM's. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

- Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Yo, how many quarts of oil ...er I mean thousands of miles have you gotten on yer Trumpet so far?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #33
Thurston_Wilkes
Founding Member

I know nothing about Aprilias, but I have a 2002 VFR that I dearly love. I am 6'2'' and weigh 170#. The VFR, with GenMar risers, fits perfectly. There is still a fair amount of forward lean, but nothing like a sport bike. 500 mile days are a pleasure. The factory seat was uncomfortable after about 50 miles, but I can ride all day with a Corbin seat. Based on your size, I would guess that the VFR is probably too small. You might want to consider the FJR or the ST1300....based on size alone. Your particular type of riding (twisties, touring, etc.) should dictate which type of bike you buy. Also, consider service. Hondas can be serviced anywhere. I have no idea where you can get an Aprilia serviced.
Thurston_Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

A little over 1K, Including about 100 miles Saturday in a flat down pour. I had to pick up my plate and $500 bucks worth of free gear from Triumph at I-90 motorsports in Issaquah so I swung by after work. Rained like hell the whole way. I got a little water in at the knees on my JR Ballistic suit thats all, The bike ran great, ****ty BT54's and all, Probably leaked so much oil it waterproofed itself. I miss my D220's in the rain, I'll have to pop for a set before this winter. Have you managed to keep that boat anchor Suzuki running long enough to ride it ?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:04 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

That old Suzuki is too mean to ever die.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #36
Mashuri
Founding Member

The VTEC kick is pretty much the same. It's not really a kick to me. Just a change in sound. The PCIII most definitely helped me with the low end fueling problems and it is the main reason I bought it. It also seems to have increased power a little. Go to this thread in vfrdiscussion.com for more info: <a http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s 105f18a15d451ecad97882524e731384;act ST;f 2;t>Click Here</a>
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #37
Mashuri
Founding Member

Damn HTML. Let's try again: <a http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s 105f18a15d451ecad97882524e731384;act ST;f 2;t>CLICK HERE DAMMIT!!!</a>
Old 06-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #38
Mashuri
Founding Member

I guess HTML isn't working here. Copy and paste this to your address bar: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-bi...=ST;f=2;t=2477
Old 06-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #39
Nplateau
Founding Member

What is the secret to your oppulence? I would love to have that kind of a lifestyle. I really want to know. I want to be just like you. Seriously.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:56 AM   #40
stormcloud
Founding Member

Honda's dealer workshop manual states that at the 16,000 mile service, the cams must be removed, a pin put in the VTEC valves, cams replaced then clearances checked - then cams out a second time to remove the pins and refit the cams a second time.

Camchains in this model remember - so lots of time spent lining up the cam timing perfectly.

Other than that, there's no difference, but some dealers are expecting significantly increased service costs because of the added bit.

for reliability/parts availability/backup etc, I'd lean towards Honda.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote