Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Aprilia News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/)
-   -   VFR/Futura Question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/aprilia-news/1936-vfr-futura-question.html)

Steve781 06-23-2003 07:21 AM

Re: VFR/Futura Question

I'm 6'4" and ride an '01 VFR. Comfort is no problem. I commute, do weekend rides, and just got back from a 4 day 1200 mile road trip. It does all that just fine. The unspoken downside of the VFR is heat. It runs incredibly hot. It also fries regulator/rectifiers. Mine has not failed yet at 22,000 miles, but I am worried about it.

16,000 mile service was about $500 for my viffer, but I hear the new vtec version takes twice as long, and likely costs twice as much. Not small change.

The VFR is a very good bike, but not a perfect bike. It is also much cheaper to buy, insure, and maintain.

pushrod 06-23-2003 08:00 AM

Just to muddy the water, but you may want to consider the Triumph Sprint ST. I've got a 32" inseam, and the ergos were tolerable for 1-1/2 to 2 hour stretches (You'll get over 200 mi to the tank). Stock seat is too soft, but Sargents can solve that problem.

I rode a FJR, and IMHO, it is not in the same category as the Futura/VFR/ST. It's a big strong bike, to be sure, but it felt like two of my Sprint.

VMan_1 06-23-2003 08:11 AM

I currenty own a Futura, a V-Tech VFR, and a '03 FJR 1300. Each bike is very different. The sportest is the VFR and the most luxurious is the FJR, with the Futura right in the middle(big surprise). The Futura is the one that I ride most - doesn't feel heavy like the FJR and is very spacious/comfortable and the luggage is great. The VFR I ride the least, maybe due to the fact I ride my track bikes (F4 and Mille) on the track when I do my sport riding. My Futura has 18K and has had no problems so far.

pushrod 06-23-2003 08:53 AM

WOW! Futura/VFR/FJR/F4/Mille (etc?)!

Do you need anyone to help you exercise all those horses? Keep the tires filled, tanks topped off?

Do ya? Huh?

seruzawa 06-23-2003 09:02 AM

I don't believe this.

You can't go wrong with a VFR.

Or an SV650.

Or a Concours.

(The devil made me do it.)

SmokeU 06-23-2003 09:18 AM

Lucky SOB, I'd certainly help out with the maintenence too!!!

sqidbait 06-23-2003 09:24 AM

My understanding is that due to the VTEC system, doing the valves on the new VFR essentially takes twice as long as it would on the older bike.

cornercarver 06-23-2003 09:27 AM

Don't worry about the reliability of the Futura. I put 23,000 miles on my Mille in the first 8 months or so that I owned it, and was never required to do anything besides change fluids, tires, pads, and chain. While valve check interval is every other service (services every 4700 miles), Mine were still well within spec at the 23,000 mile service, when I checked them off-schedule, because I was starting to feel paranoid about their lack of adjustment.

As for an $800+ service, I've never heard of such a thing. Services are anywhere from 3-6 hours, depending upon your dealer. THe fork oil and seals need changing at the first service, in order to remove any break-in metallic fragments from the oil, which maybe explains the expensive first service that someone mentioned. Either that, or they go to the worst dealer in America.

I can't speak to the VFR, but its reputation is certainly stellar. I think you'll find that you'll need new springs on the Futura. You probably can ride it as is, but you'll get a lot more out of suspension that is set up for you. I weigh 235, and I certainly had to change things around on my Mille. But then, I bought the Mille precisely because the Futura was a bit long and wallowy. I much prefer a taught sport bike, even when travelling cross-country.

Go for the Futura. It is a great bike and you'll love it.

--sam

sarnali 06-23-2003 09:44 AM

If you can afford the Aprilia it would be my choice. I'm 6'2-260lbs and the '97 VFR I had was comfortable and a lot of fun to ride, plus I had a D&D can on it, with the gear whine and the can howling it sounded like built small block Chevy. Very hard to keep off the throttle. In stop and go traffic it was a little hard on the elbows but over-all it was OK. I'd get the Futura or a Sprint ST because I prefer European bikes and the Honda is getting to be awfully complex for no real gain in performance. On the plus side 16K valve adjustments are nice, and Honda shops are a dime a dozen.

Pain_Seraphiin 06-23-2003 10:09 AM

I have a v-tec 2002 VFR. No probs yet. But if you are 240 and doo any two up riding, I would go for the vtwin Futura. When I ride two-up and go up hills, I have to down shift too far and get the revs too high (vtec range) and just to go up a hill. That is not relaxing. But with any vtwin I have owned, you usually don't even have to downshift.

But I will say my VFR is quality. I have friends who have ridden my bike and have also ridden the futura and the Ducati ST4 and they prefer the stock VFR overall.

Did I just give you and answer or more gray issues? I love all bikes.