Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 10-15-2002, 06:05 PM   #1
xmike5
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards to Aprilia?

How did he get Aprilia to let him use Michelins? I thought Aprilia was locked in a contract with Pirelli for 2003.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
xmike5
Founding Member

How did he get Aprilia to let him use Michelins? I thought Aprilia was locked in a contract with Pirelli for 2003.
xmike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Aprilia WANTED Michelins. They couldn't get them, without Colin. At the moment, Michelin is the only tire company producing a tire that combines good grip AND the ability to finish a race under a 220 H.P. motorcycle. Rumor was that Aprilia was going to be stuck with Dunlop, unless they got Edwards to come over and bring Michelin with him.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:46 PM   #4
red-silver
Registered Member

With the horsepower that Aprilia is reputed to have, Edwards as the pilot, Michelins as the tire, this could be a very potent combination.

Of course that means all the rest of the team components must be in place too. Reliability, Chassis, good rider/crew communication etc...

MotoGp is gonna' be hot in '03!!

Aoki, Bayliss, Barros, Biaggi, Checa, Edwards, Hayden, Kato, McWilliams, Roberts, Rossi, Ukawa!

Aprilia, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KR Proton, Suzuki, Yamaha !

These guys could end swapping leads like an american wide groove blue clay mile!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
zaku
Founding Member

What I don't understand is why Nicky gets a GP ride and Edwards doesn't? Maybe I've lost too many noodles the last time I fell.

Don't get me wrong, Nicky is an awsome rider, but Edwards just seems to be the better/faster one IMO. WSB is closer to GP interms of talents and machines than AMA to GP. Maybe Honda knows something that most of us don't (OK, so Honda makes motorcycles and I only know how to make hot dogs), but we'll soon find out. Don't be surprise if Honda gets a face full of rubber from Colin and the Aprilia......
zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:05 PM   #6
TheFox
Founding Member

I think a lot of it is Aprilia is trying very, very hard to expand their dealer network in the USA. Having a winning MotoGP combo would draw a lot of attention their way in the USA, and allow them to present their products as high quality. Hell, most people I know have only good things to say about them.

Aprilia is, in my opinion, the company with the most agressive race program right now. They feel that winning sells bikes for them more than any other outlet.

Now that they own Moto Guzzi, I would be real excited to see a Moto Guzzi racer too...

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:07 PM   #7
merv
Founding Member

If Aprilia don't add a few more cylinders to that engine I can't see how Colin is going to cut it amongst the 4s and V5s. I don't know what kind of horsepower they think the Aprilia is putting out but I can't imagine it is anything like the M1 or RCV are capable of. I am one that can't understand Honda not offering Colin the best ride in the first place as he was a class act all year and I am disappointed to see him leave Honda. All the same I wish him well.

Cheers

Merv.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:45 AM   #8
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Hey Burns!

What gives did you forget who actually gave you the scoop?
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:52 AM   #9
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Burns!

And then I just now notice you give me a score of "0 Idiotic Troll" on the original post where I gave you the story? F-you! Ya big haired little bastard!
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:56 AM   #10
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Honda definitely dropped that ball losing Colin, as did Ducati. Colin and Troy as Duke teamates would be a sight to see.

With only three cylinders, Aprilia is in a world of hurt. Even KR, who has long been an advocate of "light makes right," has joined the V5 brigade.

I think Colin has just stepped from the best motorcycle in a series to a loser. If he gets any top five finishes, it will be a miracle.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote