Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 10-16-2002, 10:01 AM   #31
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards to Aprilia?

V5 for the street: I overstated the point, but street bikes have cost constraints that make a V5 marginal, except as a boutique bike. Cool as hell, but so is the new 999, which most of us can't afford.

It is true that the RC211V looks production class. I spent a hafl hour at Laguna ogling one at close range. It was a world different than KR's Suzuki RGV.

I was referring to F1 of the late 80's early 90's. Honda/McLaren was just about lapping the whole field.

How long have they been back? It usually takes Honda 3 years to go from newcomer to #1.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2002, 10:08 AM   #32
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: 3 cylinders

Good points, but the fact is, it is easier to extract 220hp from a V5 than an I3. Hence, it stands to reason that it would be easier to make a flexible powerband 220hp out of a V5 than an I3. As for the fewer cylinders = better grip thing, Honda is probably using or will use a big bang type of configuration if that is necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope these other desings do well and we get real design diversity. Hell, I believe in turbo singles and such other wierd ideas.

As for Superbikes, I think the AMA's new rules are the best I have seen. 2003 should be incredible. EBoz on an 800cc ZXRR, BBoz on an RC51 and Mladin on a GSXR1000. Wow.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:30 AM   #33
banda
Founding Member

Cool as hell, but so is the new 999, which most of us can't afford.

Given that most of the world's population can't afford any motorcycle at all, you may be correct. But, when comparing the price of the new 999 to other bikes in the market, you don't have any data to go on.

There isn't a MSRP yet for the 999, and you can't necessarily use the MSRP for the 998, 996 and 916 superbikes as a yardstick. The 999 has substantially fewer parts, and is much more modular in design than the bikes it replaces. Even if the MSRP is the same, the new design promises less hours of service time because of potential ease of maintenance. So, the 999 is set to be less expensive than its ancestors.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:03 PM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Re V5 for the street -- I don't claim to be any expert in production feasibility studies, but I would guess that production costs for a V5 would be only marginally higher than for a V4, of which Honda has some considerable experience. If they concluded that there was any significant advantage for the V5 over a V4 (or V6 for that matter), I bet they could figure a way to make it at reasonable (that being, of course, a relative term) cost.

I do recall McLaren-Honda having some significant sucesses in the late 89s-early 90s although my memory did not including them lapping virually the entire field. My recollection is that Senna's "domination" of F1 at that time was less pronounced than is Michael's currently. In any case, I certainly do not mean to downplay Honda's technical expertise, which I hold in very high regards. I was merely stating that they certainly do not have a monopoly on that kind of expertise -- that in their absence, F1 engine development has made quantum improvements, as has advancement in electronic traction control. Most of this development has occurred within a group of European botique-type shops, or within Ferrarri and BMW. Companies such as Ducati and Aprilia (as well as KTM) are tapping into this expertise (either through contractual arrangements or by hiring the talent from these shops). As good as Honda's engineers are, there is some serious talent in Europe as well. I would not assume that Honda will automatically prevail.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:16 PM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: 3 cylinders

Yeah, just when I was about to give up on AMA Superbike, it looks like it could get pretty damned interesting -- looks like Suzuki is gonna develop a gixxer 1000 superbike afterall, and with EBoz on an 800 ZXRR, BBoz on the RC51, Gobert back on a serious Ducati (hopefully the 999) and even rumors of an Aprilia effort (I won't hold my breath on that one -- the $$ they are paying Colin gotta come out of someone's budget) ..... could be the best we have seen in recent years!

Now we gotta figure how to handicap the rules to make turbo singles competitive

Old 10-16-2002, 04:23 PM   #36
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>I would be real excited to see a Moto Guzzi racer <<

Hey, maybe we can get the FIM to modify the rules re streamlining so that they could resurrect their old (mid 50's) dustbin fairing! All the racebikes look too much alike -- that could shake things up! Also more area to apply sponsor decals.

Seriously, it would be fun it they would come up with a class that pitted shaft drive aircooled twins (maybe with something similar to supersport rules re mods) -- see R1150R's bangin' handlebars with Guzzis! Could make a great support class.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:50 PM   #37
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Burns!

Ugh, you sent the article and I sent the link, so I got all of the fame and glory (woo hoo! johnnyb mentioned me!), and you got, well, the satisfaction of knowing that you knew first and you are truly "The Man".

Now if you just had sent the link with the text, nobody would know who I am. But now the whole world knows me and nobody knows you.

lol
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:44 AM   #38
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Don't forget turbines!

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 01:14 PM   #39
yzf1070
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Burns!

You don't know that... That's the beauty of the internet, I might be Colin Edwards! lol Besides you're probably out to get me too! EEEVVVIIILLL I tell ya!
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote