Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 10-16-2002, 03:16 AM   #11
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards to Aprilia?

It's actually more than both. If the Aprilia doesn't put out more than the Honda, it's on par with it. The Aprilia has the best engine tech in the paddock as far as HP goes. It may not have the best useability though. Once they get the power to the ground though, the RS3 will be dangerous. Honda is rumored to be making a v6 next year.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2002, 03:21 AM   #12
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Like I told the last guy, the Aprilia makes arguably the most power out of any GP bike. They haven't been able to get the power to the ground but at Mugello the Aprilia is the only other bike besides the honda to top 200 Mph @ Mugello, and it did it before the season started. Once they get the power to the ground and can get it launched out of the corner I wouldn't doubt 215 Mph. Aprilia says part of the reason is that they don't have a good development rider in Laconi, and the other half is Dunlop tires aren't very good at all this year. Look how fast Suzuki dropped them and Ben Bostrom has been complaining about sidewall stability and full lean traction.

When it comes to Engine tech, the Aprilia is a generation beyond anything else in the Paddock. Once they get a great rider, Michelin tires for the grip and the power to the ground it may be a hard combo to beat.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:39 AM   #13
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default It's a good decision.

Some of you need to do your research. The Aprilia has been at the top of the speed sheets at many tracks, coming out of corners slower than the Honda but just as fast at the end of the straight. Haga even said it was a rocket in a straight line. What Aprilia is look for are Michelins and a Development rider, which is what they will get in Colin Edwards. If they can get the power to the ground on that bike, they will be at the front. Just because a 3 cyl 2-stroker was low on power doesn't mean the 3 cyl 4 stroke w/ F1 tech pneu valves and all will be slow.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:41 AM   #14
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey Burns!

Any one of us registered readers could have modded you down to idiotic troll. See? I just did it to you! Ha!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:47 AM   #15
yzf1070
Founding Member

Damn it! So what! It was him I know it was him! He's out to get me! And so are you! You're all evil!!! Evil I tell ya!
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:02 AM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

Fuggin, I haven't mastered that idiotic troll stuff yet... I just learned to post! Somebody gave you credit on there looks like...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:14 AM   #17
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Superbike was the Pirelli deal. Aprilia were going to be stuck with the 'lops unless they brought Colin over because Colin is under contract with Michelin as a development rider. Michelin didn't want Bridgestone or Dunlop getting any secrets from Edwards.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:18 AM   #18
yzf1070
Founding Member

Yeah, good cover, playin' the old "I'm not sure how to work this damn contraption" card. Meanwhile you're slyly sneaking around and sticking it in our backs!

Secondary to all this, I'm actually impressed you're up and working pretty early for the west coast!

....... Then again that's probably how you can catch us all unaware! Never trust a guy who gets to work too early!
yzf1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:19 AM   #19
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Sure!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:18 AM   #20
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually, Aprilia is widly believed to have the most horsepower, or at least it did earlier in the season -- reportedly they have been progressively detuning the motor throughout the season to get a more user-friendly power curve. (I believe everybody with 4-strokes is doing the same thing -- I understand that they are all down around 200 hp now, from reported peaks of nearer 220 a year ago.) Their issues has been getting the power to the ground, and getting the bike weight down to the limit for 3 cyl bikes.

I think a rider like Colin, with his smooth, controlled style, has the best prospect of getting that power down to the track.

There is a very good (and timely) article about the Cube in the newest print edition of Roadracing World -- on-line version won't be accessable for another month for those too cheap to subscribe. Anyway, after reading it last night, I feel a lot more optimistic about Colin's chance to be up in the front of the pack next year.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote