Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 05-28-2002, 06:46 PM   #11
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: the open air

But I think you miss the point. Every motorcycle manufacturer will tell you that they race to sell bikes in the showroom and to improve their product to that end. The few that want to walk on the edge can finance themselves with money from frustrated rich old men like they always have, and turn up at places like the salt flats. None of this has anything at all to do with retail motorcycle sales--but rather a fringe element interested in pressing the envelope. Granted, we need those, but not in motorcycle manufacturing. For instance, do you think that Ducati knows anything about aerodynamics when they use the wind tunnel facilities of Ferarri? When a showroom motorcycle that anyone out there can buy--blows away a Vette in any measure of performance--where is the argument for even more? My point being that a motorcycle to me is an open air vehicle. Using the cutting edges of design and aerodynamics in that context, seem appropriate to me. But, stuffing somebody inside a cocoon--gimmie a break.
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2002, 09:29 PM   #12
TheFox
Founding Member

Default "The Way Things Work"

That book is genius. I still look in it now and then.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 PM   #13
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: The Aerodynamics of the RS3 Cube

BMW C1 scooter, on sale now in UK and Europe. Check it out.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:24 AM   #14
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Default Re: Bibliography

Steve, any other suggestions on books to look for on these topics? I'm not going to shell out the cash for an inferior book. BTW, I'm an undergrad student with just a few quarters of physics under my belt. I ain't got no masters.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:17 AM   #15
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Bibliography

You said some of the equations in the chasis chapters were wrong, when compared to the prose.

I checked out most of the equations and found problems only with the symbols. Translation appeared to be pretty terrible, but decipherable.

I have developed a hefty spreadsheet to model motorcycle performance. Using some additional parameters from the book improved it a lot.

As a reference it works just great for me. It could be much better, but it's the best I've found. Can you suggest anything?

jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:32 AM   #16
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: the open air

Downforce that increases grip is the resultant force perpendicular to the pavement. Aerodynamic forces from the motorcycle shape are directed according to the lean angle. Attempts to increase aerodynamic downforce have decreased straight line speed for a very small increase in cornering grip and a huge loss in cornering stability.

Four wheel vehicles can keep the bodywork close to and parallel to the pavement. Motorcycles can't.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote