Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia releases new dream streetbike - The Tuono

Funny. Aprilia and Triumph released dry weights of both the Speed Triple and the Mille at 189 kgs. That doesn't make the Tuono much lighter.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #12
SilverBullet
Founding Member

I also wondered about the "optimistic" dyno numbers for the Sp3 but it is unlikely that the engine being tested was a Daytona engine. If you notice, the power cuts off at about 9500 rpms on the Sp3 graph. A Daytona engine would keep the curve going a bit over 10500 rpms.

It is funny that the RSV didn't get an "optimistic" reading as most bikes have been getting on the MO dyno, though.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 07:50 AM   #13
Mooner
Founding Member

Did they really detune the engine that much on the Futura?!? I am still in the infant stages of shopping for a new bike (for financial reasons) but I will definitly have to do some test riding. Did you have the chance to try a Falco? Thanks again.....Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #14
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Fellas I sure do hate to rain on the parade but this looks like an Italian brand of expensive garage furniture to me.

moto-euro-xenophobically yours,

Martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #15
Charlie10
Founding Member

I have a Pegaso and have several friends with F650s. As for Aprilia vs. BMW?

BMW has more dealers and they actually know their bikes and stock parts for them.

My experience with the Aprilia dealers around here, Denver, is that if the parts guys never had to look up/order another Aprilia part they'd be very happy. It is a shame, because the bike has been excellent.

I'd rate them equally in reliability. Of I think Aprilia has it all over BMW in the coolness factory. I love it when the Harley and squid riders ask "What's that?". I reply " An Aprilia", then they ask, "Who makes it" I reply "Aprilia!" and enjoy the confused look on their face as I wheelie down the road!

Get the Futura!

Charlie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #16
cornercarver
Founding Member

130bhp down to 113bhp. It isn't just the engine, though. The suspension is significantly downgraded, even from the standard Mille. No compression damping adjustment front or rear, and it was set up pretty plush. The two that I rode could get into a strange oscillation mid-corner if the surface wasn't totally smooth. I didn't expend a lot of effort trying to dial it out, as I had already made up my mind. Besides, the looks of that bike never really did it for me, and I didn't like its size. The Mille feels so much smaller and more compact, which I like, despite my 220lb frame.

I do upwards of 15 track days a year, but I also tend to ride at least 24,000 miles. The 15 track days require track-ready suspension, and are certainly aided by the full power engine. The 24K miles necessitate some compromise for comfort. Noone makes (nor should they, as I imagine my riding habits are fairly rare, at least on just one bike) a bike that is really dialled in for both. I figured I would just build one myself, and still come up with a cheaper bike than the BMW K1200RS I just sold (I replaced both a Speed Triple street and track bike and a BMW sport tourer with a single Mille that will be modded to cover both tasks). The real trick is going to be the adjustability that will allow easy transition from track bike to street and back. I don't mind turning a few wrenches, but I don't want to have to carry different parts.

The ST4s is almost perfect, but who wants to pay for those valve adjusts ever 6K miles when you are going to put 24K on the bike every year. That is $2400 in service per year versus $1200-$1500 for the Mille, which will be easier to service myself once the warranty expires.

I figure that I'll buy some light wheels for the track for something like $2500 including rotors (I hope), and have handlebars and some kind of footpeg solution machined for about $700 combined. Throw in about $600 for quality soft saddlebags, tankbag and tailpack, plus the cost of the bike at $13K, and for $16.8K total (almost exactly the new cost of a BMW K1200RS), I get a bike that PERFECTLY suits my needs. Sure, I could have started with a Mille R to prevent the almost inevitable (knowing me, anyway) upgrade to Ohlins suspenders at a later date, but I am not a big believer in using credit to buy toys, and the Mille is what I could afford.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:06 PM   #17
painter_1
Founding Member

Man, if your doing 15 track days a year, why don't you join the nearest race club. If you do say 2 races on a weekend [600ss, 750ss etc.], The cost wouldn't be very much more than a track day. I picked up a 2000 R1 from a insurance auction for $4500. It had cosmetic damage only. I put about $2000 into it, [revalved suspention, race bodywork, race Pipe, etc.]. And even novice racing is way more intense and fun than track days. Just a thought, I tried to do with the same bike for track and street like you, But it's a serious pain to change body work and tires once or twice a month. and when you get faster the susp. valved for the track will really pound you on the street. Besides you can push a $6500 track bike harder without that thought in the back of your mind {$17000 tumbiling end over end}. Hope to see you on the starting grid. Omrra #270
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote