Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-17-2002, 10:06 AM   #51
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Mille-R Reader Feedback

That all makes sense. Thanks.

I may get to ride a Mille this weekend at Texas World Speedway. I look forward to having my own experience to gage what I read.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2002, 10:18 AM   #52
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Hey Robert, good to hear that your Aprillia life is more fun that the Hawkworks life. Nice bikes at any rate. I appreciate the honest candor, very un-mfg-rep like. It is really irritating when a rep disses other machines and extremely refreshing when one says the things you did. Rather than detract from your marque, it elevates the company.

BTW: for the MO'ites out there, Robert produced the famous Hawkworks newsletter for a few years and rode in Lightweight superbike here in Texas for some years. A good guy who provided some good advice to this newbie racer a few times.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:15 PM   #53
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Lets do a Track Day!

Streets of Willow.... Its cheap, safe, and fun.

If you hold it, they will come.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:19 PM   #54
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Lets do a Track Day!

P.S. It wouldn't be an "MO" Track Day, unless Calvin, Brent and John were in attendance.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:04 PM   #55
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default That's profanity?

Good Lord....
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 03:11 PM   #56
tl100rman
Founding Member

Ok, so Mille-R is a great bike ... so why doesn't anyone talk about the TL1000R anymore ... or better yet pit it against the other V-twins ... What's up wit that?
tl100rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #57
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Beans, Beans...

The Magical fruit, which make a FIREBOLT come out of my butt.

Guys, I'd like to expound on the line item that someone else put in. It would be a really good idea for you to include the XB-9R Buell in teh Twins Shootout.

HOW long have you had their banner in rotaion on the site's homepage? HOW long has every single article been headed with a three-square-inch advert for the Firebolt?

It's supposedly engineered to be the ultimate STREET bike, so let's see how it stacks up, yes?

And just for more fodder, cuz you guys don't have enough to do...why not a Shootout of "The Others"? The triples, the v-fours, the litre-class thumpers, you know...the others.

and then the three-way between the winners of those three shootouts.

oh, and hurry up with that value-bike shootout will you. or better yet, get a valuebike in the garage for a long-term eval. something to use, when the higher-end stuff is in the shop. I need a new ride.

Thanks, fellas.

the new-guy vibe is wearing off in favour of the good rhythyms.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:06 PM   #58
cornercarver
Founding Member

Default Re: Power in the right places?

Well, the fact that there were complaints about rear wheel spins on the four immediately after getting off the twin (I think, I haven't read the thing in days, now) is what led to my posting. I haven't ridden every bike made for the last umpteen years the way professional motorcycle testers have, but I have ridden a GSXR1000 ('01), an R1 ('02), a Triumph Daytona ('99) and Speed Triple ('01), and both a Mille R ('00) and Mille ('02) fairly extensively, and the Mille, for reasons that I cannot put into words, really is the easiest bike to ride well of all of them. Not necessarily the fastest, but the one on which I ride the smoothest and feel like I am riding the most correctly from a tehnical standpoint. I'll find out at my upcoming trackdays whether it is also the fastest, although it is an unfair comparo, since I have maybe only done 30 track miles on each of the inline fours.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 05:21 PM   #59
cornercarver
Founding Member

Default Re: Beans, Beans...

I second the motion for a test of the 'others'. I almost always factor the 'character' of a bike into my decision, and the other category frequently comes up top. Sure, they have wildly different peak power, but in the right hands, supposedly slow bikes can do surprising things.

How about a Daytona, Benelli (yeah, right...), R1100S, VFR shootout.

I would like to see the Firebolt compared to the other twins, too, even if it is as a sidebar like the infamous BMW K1200RS in the sport tourer comparo in a certain other motorcycle magazine. Ride it in the same tests, and if it performs, include it in the test, but if it fails in some way, tell us about it all the same (or push it into the Other category). I am sure there are readers out there who are interested in bikes that don't win a straight shootout against the competition. It would be nice to be able to buy an American made sport bike, for one thing.

I'd like to see a comparison of the 'second' bikes, too. Falco against Sprint RS against GSXR750(?) against ZX9R. I don't know what we would gain from such a test, exactly, but I bet it would be fun, and maybe even interesting to read, especially since it is twin against triple against four.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:37 PM   #60
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Beans, Beans...

I will have to agree too. If for no other reason than I'm getting pretty friggin sick of that blasted firebolt ad "pulling down" whenever I scroll across it. Lets here about the goddamn thing.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote