Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #31
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Mille-R Reader Feedback

According to the ducati website, the 998S (the real thing, not the Bostrom bike) is not going to be imported into the US. It would be about $21K were it.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2002, 01:33 PM   #32
acruhl
Founding Member

I can confirm that the R1 "feels" faster than the GSX-R 1000. I think that MO has already conceded this point. I got on a friend of mine's Suzuki and I instantly felt more confident in corners, rode faster, felt safer, didn't break traction, etc. It laughs at you as if all road situations are ridiculous to it. The R1 is fast and handles, but it squirms a bit, spins the tire, shakes it's head... Just feels more alive. Ironically, for this very reason I like it better. If I had to race? F**k the R1... The GSX-R is the only way to go.

In the short time I had to ride the Mille, it felt slow but I knew better. It's also the quickest bike off the line I've ever ridden and also wheelies easier than anything I've ever ridden. Nice bike but I'm not sure I like Twins...

That said, I think my MV handles even better than the GSX-R... It's been described as the best handling 4 cylinder bike ever. I haven't ridden all 4 cylinder bikes, but so far, I concur.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:42 PM   #33
cornercarver
Founding Member

Actually, I throw my mountain bike on the bake of my R1100RT all the time. It straps on nicely (wheels off, of course), and is only marginally wider than the bags. The extra width is high up, so I happily lane split on Bay Area freeways with the bike on the back. It takes a while to put the whole thing together at the other end, and is a general pain in the ass, since you have to exchange bulky M/c riding gear for lycra MTB riding gear at the destination, but the looks I get make it worthwhile.

As for the snowboard, the only solution I can think of is a street legal dirt bike. Suzuki DRZ450 or street legal XR650 should be just the ticket. Plug in your electric gear, strap the board to the bike, and away you go. OK, maybe that is a tad extreme, but I do have a friend who rode year round in Chicago on a dual sport. He only went through 4 chains per winter, too. I suppose he could have washed it occasionally...
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:08 PM   #34
cornercarver
Founding Member

Default Re: Power in the right places?

I don't know a thing about how the GP1 bikes feel, but the difference between a twin and a four is fairly well recognized. Tires are subject to both static and sliding friction. The former is how much the tire resists sliding before it starts to slide, and the latter is how much resistance is offered once grip has already broken. Static friction is MUCH stronger than sliding friction.

Engines deliver power in distinct pulses when each cylinder fires. When the bike is really making power (and the engine is revving high), those power pulses are delivered very frequently, especially on a four, which has four pulses for every 2 revolutions of the crank (usually). Once the tire starts to slide, it is the much smaller coefficient of sliding friction that is responsible for stopping the slippage. If another power pulse is delivered before the tire regains grip, it is likely that the tire will continue to slide. Since a 4 delivers power to the tire twice as often as the twin (more actually, since the fours make good power at higher revs, so the engine is spinning faster), the 4 is MUCH more likely to cause the back end to slip under power. This means that a well ridden twin can usually be under power quite a bit before an inline four in the same corner at the same speed. That makes a twin a LOT easier to ride. Even the difference between an inline 3 and a twin of the same displacement is quite noticeable (Triumph Daytona vs Mille R, for instance). This is, at least partly, why the V-four in the Ducati GP1 bike will have the same firing order as the twins (2 cylinder at a time, rather than 4 distinct pulses).

The comment about the power of the big G making it far superior to the other open classers was made about racetrack performance. At the racetrack, it isn't about how easy it is to ride a bike, but how fast you get it around the track. That is not the case on the street, where it is all about rideability. At least, it is if you are planning to survive to your next ride. I don't have enough time in the saddle of an open class four to say which is the better bike, but I have tens of thousands of miles on triples and twins, and I know that I prefer the delivery style of the twin over anything I have ridden, including all of the bikes reviewed in the open class shootout. Then again, I am far from the fastest person at the track, and my sense of self preservation usually overrides my right hand on the street, too.

There is no question that the Aprilia would lose the top gear roll on test, but let's see which bike performs better when you snap the throttle open 3/4 of the way through a 2nd or 3rd gear turn. The big G will slide and then high side (or probably just loop you over backwards), and the Aprilia will just drive nicely out of the turn. Basically, the twin is more tolerant of any mistakes AND has the ability to go very fast when ridden well on the street, where excessive power is only a liability. How often do you or I have an opportunity to go to wide open throttle in top gear, anyway. I try to keep my bike OFF the freeway (and out of Nevada) whenever I can.

In the interests of 'journalistic integrity' I should disclose that I bought a Mille on Saturday and absolutely ***** LOVE it, just in case you couldn't tell.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:10 PM   #35
cornercarver
Founding Member

Hey Minime, how come you guys can swear in your articles, but when I typed '*****' in my news post, it was edited? Seems like a double standard to me. I want to swear, too.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:31 PM   #36
Mooner
Founding Member

I'm curious, what did the Aprilia marketing coordinator have to say about the four cynider bikes?
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:28 PM   #37
DurangoKid
Founding Member

I suspect it was typical corporate jargon.

"Fours are overdone, Italian twins rule, wait for our new triple."

I am intriqued by the Aprilia. I just have no passion for the design. Compared to the Ducati, they look like a bloated corpse.

I have been itching to ride one though. I just may get my chance during the Aprilia sponsored track day at Texas World Speedway. Of course that depends on weather this weekend in Central Texas.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #38
ollie
Founding Member

Man, this comparo couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm thinking about replacing my 98 VTR (55k miles on it) and was looking hard at the RC51 and Mille R. Thanks MO!!!
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:36 PM   #39
dbrowdy
Founding Member

Reading reviews is great n all, but riding the bikes will sell them. I rode an Aprilia SL1000 Falco (same engine as the Mille, different frame) back to back with the RC51 and it was no comparison. The Falco stole my heart and will soon steal a big chunk of my monthly income. If you have your possibilities narrowed down to just two, go ride em man!

MO: How bout pitting this little known gem (the Falco) against the competition ie. 900SS, TL1000, VTR1000, hell even the RC51 and 998. For real world value (street performance, funfactor, comfort, PRICE!) it will cream any of the above bikes.

Oh and personally, I think if you're gonna get the Mille you might as well get the R. If not, go for the Falco and save $3k for the same engine.

Peace,

D
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:15 PM   #40
minime
Founding Member

I guess Lord Blip decreed swearing for artistic purposes is a fine enough thing. I think he was just trying to eliminate foul name-calling here, littered with expletives.

You could still swear, though. Try calling somebody a "poopy head" or a "doo doo caca brain" and see what happens....
minime is offline   Reply With Quote