Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Aprilia News

Old 04-16-2002, 07:53 AM   #21
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Mille-R Reader Feedback

We swapped bikes again. We covered quite a few miles on the way to the strip that afternoon/evening. If I mentioned every instance we swapped bikes, well, there'd be no point in doing that and the story would have been stupid, I think. but that's just me.

The only part that was made up is where I say by looking at the bike's details you don't even notice the obnoxious color. It's BRIGHT, and you always notice it
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2002, 07:58 AM   #22
v2-90
Founding Member

I agree with Minime.

Although the standard 998 doesn't have a "full Ohlins rack," it does have a rear Ohlins shock and a very well made Showa front. I'd have to say the 2 Italian bikes are very competitive to each other and also that the RC51 is right there with them, at minimum. This is going to be a cool comparison and I really like how MO seperated the inline-4s from the V-twins and did it over two comparisons.

Too bad my truck (TL-R) is about as competitive in this class as a Peterbilt - as least with its factory rear suspension. I'm still dumbfounded as to what Suzuki was smoking during the engineering and testing of that rear unit. $2000 and many Ohlins parts later, my TL-R finally handles more like a bike in this class should. Now if I could just put it on an all protein diet and lose some of its weight...

-v2-90

v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:09 AM   #23
minime
Founding Member

Thanks. The working title is something along the lines of "Rich B_itches vs. the Girl next Door." As I said, it should be interesting and fun and informative.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #24
rocketorM3
Founding Member

So will you pit the GSX against the big twins?... and the hyper Duc against the R? Would seem only fitting.
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:21 AM   #25
DucButt
Founding Member

minime - I really like the format of MO, as well as the content. Really looking forward to the twin comparo, but I would also like to see how the standard Mille compares to the R in an every day subjective sense.

By the way - What made you go with Aerostich? I like the features, but don't care for the "fat paratrooper" look. Ironically, I have the identical Spidi suit that Burns wears (but I got mine first...)
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:33 AM   #26
minime
Founding Member

DucButt,

Thanks. The 'Stitches we all wear are just the best for most of us. Easy on, easy off, worn over clothes (or none at all), very versatile, they protect extremely well, etc. We haven't found anything better.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:48 AM   #27
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

It is often stated that twins (and thumpers in the dirt world) are deceptive. They seem to be going slow but are really going fast. I gather the Mille R was very much that sort of machine.

An interesting point (for me at any rate) is that I think I prefer bikes that are deceptively slow. If I feel like I'm going fast, but am really going slow, my license is secure but I am having fun.

Anyway, your reply begs another question: was the Big G easier to ride fast or just so damned fast the easy didn't matter?

I hope y'all can do the Open Twins comparo at Fontana so that we can compare laptimes between the tiwns and fours.

Keep on beating the print mags to punch, fellas.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #28
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

That excuse you have for owning an SUV is insufficient. The Ministry of SUV Approval requires a detailed environmental impact statement as well as an explanation of why you couldn't transport your snow gear with an R1150RT.

Lastly, you must feel guilty every day.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:38 AM   #29
12er
Founding Member

If I could figure out how to chain up a bike and somehow attach my giant (nicknamed by my friends as the "Door Board") 172 fatbob to it I would probably ride. Rain and near zero temps don't stop me but snow is a different story. Now that the weather is getting better Im seriously looking to try and develop a pull cart for my golf clubs that attaches to my bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:42 AM   #30
granny
Founding Member

Default Oh but the Mille DOES look Japanese, that's the beauty of it.

I think that the Mille bikes (both R and RSV) combine the build quality of a Japanese bike with the character of an Italian bike. The MIlle is quite a package. My two favorite bikes this year are the R1 and the Mille-RSV (both in silver). I don't think I'd require a Mille-R. And if I may gripe, I really don't understand why Ducati thinks that winning the WSB means they can get away with charging the same price for the 998 as the Mille-R. Ducati needs to price the 998 like the Mille-RSV and bring the 998S (the real thing, not the Bostrom monstrosity) into the US at the price of the Mille-R to stand a chance of interesting me...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote