Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 12-03-2001, 10:11 AM   #1
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: More news from the frontlines

oh..............
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2001, 10:22 AM   #2
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default What this all means

All of the recent events are just laying the ground work for what we'll look back upon in 10 years when people are wondering what killed motocross racing in the US.

Seriously, this bickering almost seems designed to make fans confused and disinterested, while keeping any company involved from making a real profit. Can you tell I'm not happy with this?
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:21 AM   #3
tbuse
Founding Member

That one side is getting Tony George involved could be a death knell to motocross racing. This is the same twit who single handedly turned the Indianapolis 500 from the premire racing event in the world to a minor sideshow and caused the IRL/Cart split that so damaged open wheel racing that they have to pay to get television coverage. The Coca Cola 600, run the same day, gets far more viewers. If Tony Stewart hadn't been trying to run a double this past year, no one would have cared about Indy. Sad.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:29 PM   #4
weak_link
Founding Member

The series is doomed. Thanks, AMA. Once again you have managed to completely screw things up.

How long before they totally ruin roadracing as well?

I am not an AMA member because they consistantly HARM the sport, not help it.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
RacinJason
Founding Member

This whole issue makes me so pissed that I can't even think straight...problem is, I do not know who I should be supporting?!?!?!?

This sport was definitely heading in the right direction...now I am wondering what will happen.

But here is the big question... What will the factories do? If all the big boys stick together and make a decision to whom they should be loyal, I would think that the other promoter is completely screwed. I am not an industry insider, but it seems to me that this whole issue lies in the hands of the factory teams now.

Does anyone else see it this way????

- J

RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 04:25 PM   #6
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Not sure how accurate this is, but I've heard that Clear Channel has gotten commitments from a majority of stadiums and other venues where Supercross is held, and has every intention of continuing without the AMA. The print edition of Cycle News has been covering it. It's taken this long for Jam/AMA to get ahold of one venue, while Clear Channel apparently has locked down at least 6 stadiums.

Personally, I'm no fan of AMA Pro racing. They should stick to politics, and stay the ---- out of racing. The only demonstrated ability they have race-wise is to screw riders, teams, and fans over with their incessant bickering and politics.
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:31 PM   #7
Pacer
Founding Member

The AMA definitely has issues to deal with, but aleast they have motorcycles on their minds. Clear Channel is only looking at dollar signs. Yup, open wheeled is a pretty nice model. What do you go with, incompetence or those only concerned with profit?
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:02 AM   #8
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I don't know all the details behind Clear Channel, but honestly... the series was doing pretty well WITH them, and largely because CC -is- very good at turning a profit. That's not bad, nor a crime in this country. So, to me, the AMA is quite clearly the 'evil/stupid one' here. CC is doing what any company would do when pushed like this, IMHO.. they're fighting back. Unless and until I hear some kind of evil/dirty details on CC, I'm backing them b/c they, to me-- at this time, seem to be the ones that were about to get screwed over by the AMA.

I am not so sure the AMA -really- does that much for motorcyclists. It seems to me that a lot of the issues in current political circles are being -lost- by the AMA... the off-road access stuff... jacking with bike regulations when there are CLEARLY more eggregious violators that could be dealt with first instead of token gestures... and more that I don't have time/space to get into. I think the AMA likes to -play- at being "motorcycle-centric" but they seem to fail at it every time it counts.

RoadRacingWorld did a good bit of coverage of this whole shakedown... it seems to largely follow the Edmonson fiasco, the AMA is screwing up again and the lawsuits will cost all of it's members.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:07 AM   #9
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Yep, you're right on; the factories are going to wind up affecting this quite a bit. At least two of them (I want to say Kawi + Suzi.. don't quote me though) have memebers on the AMA board or someplace. It should be interesting to see how they vote. We could wind up with two companies in AMA SX and the rest in CC-SX ..or whatever they'll call it.. I think the term 'SuperCross' is owned by someone.. one of the combatants will be denied the rights to use it, no doubt.

No good can come of a two-series situation... -just- like someone else pointed out with the CART/IRL garbage.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:41 AM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

The only manufacturer not represented on the AMA board of directors is Yamaha.