Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 10-02-2001, 07:16 AM   #11
Haru
Founding Member

Default Re: the ZX-12 was treated very unfairly by the press

Some magazines have criticized the 12's suspension compared to the Bus, but I haven't a clue what they are talking about. Its 2" shorter wheelbase, and its steeper steering geometery make it a lot quicker turning and more agile than the Bus. I don't see that get mentioned very often. A ZX-12R lapped the Kyalami circuit in south africa neck and neck with an R1. It was slower flicking side to side, but faster driving out of corners and on the straights. I don't see any magazine acknowledging the 12's superb handling (for what it is) The one thing I will aknowledge is that the 12's frame was very stiff originally and didn't provide as good feedback at the limit.

But again, this is not about better or worse than the Busa. Its about a balance of traits and characteristics. They are different and they are both very good. I just thought it damned unprofessional of magazines to reduce the bike to a top speed number, even if that was what Kawasaki was pushing. Any criticism that was leveled at it in that regard was justifiable, but it seemed that they were upset enough to start raking its character over coals, making its flaws look fatal and barely mentioning its strengths.

Consumers, I can understand, lost interest when it didn't do the only thing about it that captured their attention. But magazine editors are supposed to be more rational and responsible than that. its just shameful that they disguise their prejudice with reasonable sounding rhetoric. Not that I am upset any more. I see gixxers, R1s, Haybausa all the time, but I have seen only two other ZX-12s on the road. I appreciate the rarity, and I don't need anybody else to ooh and ah at my bike. After all, needing the oohs and ahs of your peers is what drives the development of the sportbike, isn't it?

also that $12k price was all hooey. I paid $9900 for mine, I know people who paid $8500, and few people paid much more than $10k.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 AM   #12
Haru
Founding Member

Default let me also add:

<blockquote>At the weekend, a new world record was set for a production bike on an oval at Rockingham. The track is designed to show the handling/high speed handling of bikes whatever on a tight oval that must conform to some standard (i.e. 1/4 mile in length, something like that).

The GSXR1000 raised the record to 122mph.

A 12R also broke the record at 121mph.

The Hayabusa went 118mph

</blockquote>

Not saying that this is a be-all, end-all test. Draw your own conclusions. Again, I am not dissing the Hayabusa. Only trying to illustrate that the 12 has strenghths that rarely, if ever, got any mention in the rags
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 02:14 AM   #13
Sparky
Founding Member

Default Re: obviously Kawasaki knows a thing or two

Das, I think you hit the nail on the head. Kawasaki at least gives the appearance that they don't do nearly as much R&D as the other manufacturers. Clearly that is not entirely true re:ram air systems.

To what extent the R&D issue exists, it only highlights (in a huge way) how well the Bos+Kaw team works together! That team has a formula that kicks major butt.

As another poster said above, why would Bos want to change what works so well. Ever heard "If it works, don't fix it".

Seeya in Daytona!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote