Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-28-2001, 04:16 PM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

Good. I never understood why they were in it to begin with. They weren't competitive, and their own customers didn't care one whit about racing.

It would be nice to think that without this extra burden, they'd drop prices to what is reasonable for the technology they sell. But that's wishful thinking, unfortunately.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2001, 04:18 PM   #2
john
Founding Member

It's about time harley pulled out. The machine was not competitive, but continued to race. To me, this is not what racing is about (which is why i hate nascar). Hopefully they don't have the rescources becuase they are starting from scratch for a GP team. I think harley should continue roadracing, but realize that they have next to no current products on the street that will directly benefit in terms of image. Maybe a GP bike under the Buell moniker?
Old 08-28-2001, 04:18 PM   #3
starvingstudent
Founding Member

"The VR 1000 Superbike racing program helped Harley-Davidson develop and refine technologies such as liquid-cooling and electronic fuel injection."

What, like those things are so hard to figure out? It's an embarassment that HD only started using them on street bikes in the late 1990's and early 2000's, even with the "help" of their racing program.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
Hogtied
Founding Member

Even though I'm a long-time HD rider, I'm glad they're throwing in the towel. It's been hard to sit in the bleachers at Daytona every March and watch them get their butts kicked year after year

Now I can go back to routing for Ducati, and maybe even Aprillia. (No cheers for the ricer crowd.)
Hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:53 PM   #5
aminalmutha
Founding Member

I doubt this is a permanent withdrawl from road racing. For the time being, it does seem like a good idea, though. We can speculate all we want, but I'd bet there may be plans to re-enter Superbike racing in the future. Who knows about the details, though. There's no reason why they can't be competetive with a well funded, well orgainized, well engineered racing program. I'm not particularly an HD fan, but greater competition improves racing and technology, which is definitely a good thing. So, let's hope they do come back eventually.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:02 PM   #6
pengilly
Founding Member

With all the rule changes for the 2002 season you might be rooting for the loosers again. Give up on the twin thing and go for the real deal...four in a row makes them go! Have you ridden a gsxr 1000 lately? Just ribin ya, Im just a inline four fan whos been on the short end of the stick for way too long. Redemption is in the wind.
pengilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:04 PM   #7
4in6
Founding Member

the ricer crowd at least we aren't getting are butts kicked all over the track. If they didn't have idiots running that company they could have done better harley has and always will make junk if they built a plane would you fly on it remember you can't pull over at 30,000 feet and fix it. They should have taken some of that money that they rape off the suckers that buy that junk and make a better bike. Or here is an idea start selling a sportbike at a reasonable price and use the profits for racing development. We all know they make a ton of money of of tee shirt sales considering they are all made for pennies on the dollar buy 8 year olds in thailand sweat shops. Makes me proud to call them an american made bike.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:18 PM   #8
4in6
Founding Member

Harley Davidson raced in AMA I thought those were like pace bikes that came out on the track to slow the field down after a crash isn't that why there orange. At least Picotte can get out of that deal and get back on a real bike
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:27 PM   #9
Gravestone
Founding Member

Huh? What race are you watching? Every WSB race I see there is almost always lapped traffic in 5-6 laps.

I'd like to see those bikes try to do 500 miles.
Gravestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:39 PM   #10
dynarider
Founding Member

What would you consider a reasonable price for the technology they produce? Remember Harley has come a long way in the last few years. They now use fuel injection, counterbalancers, they have the new v-rod..liquid cooled & 115 hp..more than any of the japanese cruisers puts out & it does it with less cc's. The new firebolt..remember at it's core it is a harley, probably the best handling bike ever mass produced. Fuel injected, gas in the frame, oil in the swing arm, front perimiter brake & under $10,000. Hell most of the japanese sportbikes are priced right around $10,000. And since we are on the subject of price, have you priced any of the so-called harley wannabe jap cruisers? Most are $12,000 or more...Road star, Royal Star, VTX, Warrior, all are up there in price & don't exactly have all the latest & greatest innovations on them.

The damn Goldwing costs just as much as the most expensive Harley, everyone likes to bash Harleys prices but in retrospect they have actually remained pretty stable for a number of years now while the competition has had their prices skyrocket.

As far as the racing aspect goes, I am glad to see them get out. I would much rather have the reigns to a future racing project handed to Buell. If & when that happens I am sure it will be a viable competitor.
dynarider is offline   Reply With Quote