Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   AMA Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/)
-   -   Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/ama-racing/813-harley-davidson-retire-racing.html)

Poser 08-29-2001 11:50 AM

Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

I am disappointed that they are pulling out. I ride a Japanese bike every day because it is relatively fast, light, and reliable. I don't like cruiser ergonomics. As long as Harleys are heavy cruisers, I won't buy one. As soon as they build a competitor to the Japanese and Europeans, I will seriously consider buying one. I hoped that the VR1000 would lead into a Harley standard or even sportbike. Buells are close, but don't quite do it yet.

I guess I will continue to wait...

Spinetingler 08-29-2001 12:17 PM

Re: An analogy

Bob Cousy - I don't think he was that tall. In any event, I've been to a Sixers game (second row off court - awesome) and Iverson is 'barely' 6 foot. It's amazing he is even on the court with those guys yet 'ruling' them. He is an oddity in the NBA. HIs shot actually archs over defenders. Did you ever try to shoot a basketball like that (high arch)? It's very difficult to be precise and he hits them all the time. I'm sure if one researches all of the sports leagues, you'll find the outliers. My point is it's unfair to make broad statements about anyone's potential - that's just limiting and smacks along the lines that things should be a 'particular way.' If that were the case, women would still be in the kitchen and not all people would be allowed to vote because 'it just doesn't make sense.' My 2 cents.

I agree that Harley's are slower than other bikes but bikes are a personal decision. I own a HD 883 (chick's bike ;) ) and my wife a Suzuki Intruder 800. Cruising along, all she has to do is roll on the throttle. While I'm downshifting into 3rd, she's pulling away. While she gets a good laugh out of it, I've ridden her bike. I'm not overweight but the bike feels 'flimsy' to me, especially on the highway and I don't care to ride it. My Sporty, however, is solid and strong which makes it heavy and slow. But that's what I want. Yeah, it would be great if I could, at least, roll on and keep pace with her. To do that, I'll have to get the 1200. Doesn't seem fair but I'm working with aircooled pushrpods while she is working with a liquid cooled, dual carbuerated, lighter bike. It beats my bike in speed any day and twice on Sundays!!

Grover 08-29-2001 12:21 PM

Why this turned into a debate about the XB is beyond me but you guys are going at this all wrong. Someone finally mentioned the 600's, and those are what the XB is supposed to run with, keep in mind it's still a pushrod motor with only 2 valves and it's under 1000 CC (950 something I think) So of course it won't run with an R1 or a GXR1000, Don't be stupid. My guess is this thing will be able to hold it's own with any of the supersport bikes and what it lacks in top end h.p. it will make up in torque and cornering speed.

Spinetingler 08-29-2001 12:22 PM

OK, OK - rice burners suck and I love HD. Now I've conformed to the group - please accept me as being in the 'love HD bikes no matter what you say' groups. Burn on!

Now I have to go polish my wife's Suzuki - should I hate my wife for owning it??? I guess I should - let me start divorce proceedings now.

luvmyvfr 08-29-2001 02:13 PM

Guess what 'tardo

The TANK on the XB9R is the frame, and there are plenty 'o seams on it. Gosh, you guys really don't think before you post.

luvmyvfr 08-29-2001 02:26 PM

I would refer you to http://www.soundrider.com/archive/ed...why_i_didn.htm for a great article on why I didn't wave (I usually do). I wouldn't stop to help a HD rider because, well, I got metric tools on my VFR. Don't want to strip the corners off of your overpriced made in taiwan bolts. Don't read too much into what I say. I probably would see if you needed a ride or something, but to be honest (don't tell the other 'jap bike' riders) I haven't seen many Hardley's broken down in the last 2 years of riding 10,000 mi/year.

Vook 08-29-2001 03:07 PM

Ultimately, the correct decsion, if you know what running a business is all about. Harley's earnings are not the result of some Sunday afternoon glory.

Expensive to produce a winner? Sure, but I believe the real reason is they couldn't change their philosophy and no group of designers and engineers is going to go nuts and build a winner when the company would never be fully committed to the idea.

Americans made Harley what they are and I can't see that influence changing. Put on a black leather jacket, some loud pipes and be "bad" for a few hours a week. How can that be performance related?

cranx 08-29-2001 03:09 PM

A real shame

I've been on the record many a time for ridiculing the VR1000. But then even its most stalwart defenders must concede that the VR1000 is a ridiculous dog of a racebike. It is all the same a real shame that HD is pulling out of AMA SBK -- what I really wanted to see was HD tossing the VR and making a genuinely competitive bike, properly homologated so that it would actually be available. Oh well ...

gt750 08-29-2001 03:12 PM

What!!! If Honda quit racing, what model would losse sales, the RC51? Geez, they probably only sell a few thousand anyway! Has Yamaha lost out bigtime now that they've pulled out of W.S.B.? Honda might lose 5% of their sales without racing. Look at the late 80's to see what A.M.A. was like! It was pathetic. I think that Honda DID pull out of Superbike for a year or two!

fwalters 08-29-2001 03:14 PM

Re: Too Bad, I hope they come back soon............

I was hoping they would get the liquid cooled thing working and win a AMA Superbike title. TOO BAD.

Harley could bring AMA Superbike racing to the general public in a big way, just think of all the Harley fans. We need Harley to come back to Superbike as soon as possible and win a title.