Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-29-2001, 10:31 AM   #71
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

This is America, and they have a right to swindle, as you so properly point out.

Well, this is America, and when a businessman is a swindling A-hole, I have the right to call him on it, boycott his company, and encourage others to do the same.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 10:37 AM   #72
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: An analogy

Since you agree with my idea but not my analogy, let me make it more clear.

You cite people who are thin or short (as if 6 feet is short!), but not to the degree that I stated. There has NEVER been a 110-pounder in the NFL, even if there has been a 180-lb "flyweight". Though there have been some "short" six-footers in the NBA, has there ever been someone who is 5'2", or 4'8"? Didn't think so. My grandfather is 4'7", and if he tried to join the NBA, yes I would call him a fool. The examples you give are equivalent to something like the CBR929--down ten or so horsepower. The Firebolt is down thirty or fourty horsepower, like my examples. Good handling and "spirit" won't matter when you have a deficit _that large_.

Well, use whatever analogy you want, we seem to agree on the basic idea anyway
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 10:43 AM   #73
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Hmmmm... Interesting.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:20 AM   #74
tbuse
Founding Member

Anybody who has a part come loose or fall off isn't doing his maintenance. Whenever you use a 45 degree pushrod engine, you have to use locktite or safety wiring. The thing's going to vibrate; it's a given. I've owned a number of Shovelheads, including a dual plugged, 93" custom. NO part went on that bike without locktite. The parts I lost, I broke. My fault for using after market stuff. Properly installed, quality parts stayed where they were supposed to.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #75
tbuse
Founding Member

You have absolutely no clue as to the cost of building a Harley, but have called them swindlers. Before you start calling names you sould schedule an economics course for next semester. Compare not only the profit margins of H-D bikes and those from Japanese manufacturers, but also the repair costs. Then compare the volume sold by both companies and the relative profitability of each company. (Look at just the motorcycle division of the Japanese company, not the entire company.) Then just quit whining. You hate Harleys. That's cool; don't buy one. However, learn a little before you start impuning people's motives.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:52 AM   #76
tbuse
Founding Member

Realistically, look at it from Harley's perspective; why? The Japanese & the Italians rely on the old saying "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" (Or Tuesday, since I don't know a bike shop that's open on Monday.) What benefit does H-D get out of racing that it cannot get elsewhere? If Harley wins races, there is no "race replica" type bike that it's customer can then run out and buy. Therefore, racing gives no direct benefits. As far as developing technologies, there are cheaper ways to do that. The only real result of Harley discontinuing their race effort is that you will never see any Harley riders sitting around in their silly little rompers talking about how they could out ride Eric Bostrom if they didn't have this night manager at Denny's thing going on. (By the way, you don't have to race to make a good bike. Triumph doesn't have a race team either.)
Old 08-29-2001, 11:57 AM   #77
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: A rather selective retirement..

That Harley is sponsering a NHRA team shouldn't be surprising given the great emphasis given in the press on the V-Rod to drag race styling & heritage. Should be interesting to see what they can do. Wonder if they'll get a woman to ride it.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:02 PM   #78
tbuse
Founding Member

Excuse me, but if you are going to continue to be reasonable, we are going to have to ask you to leave. lol
Old 08-29-2001, 12:04 PM   #79
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Even more power figures

The only way the Firebolt will suprise me, is if it doesn't get the madatory Buell recall...
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 12:07 PM   #80
tbuse
Founding Member

"How many harley guys watch roadracing???"

Quite a few actually. Got any more stereotypes?