Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-29-2001, 07:43 AM   #61
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Petition to H-D..Give Buell race team

http://www.petitiononline.com/hdb/petition.html

All people who want to see an American AMA Superbike win, sign this!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 07:46 AM   #62
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: A Very Selective Memory

Rod,

That was an outstanding reply. Kudos to you, for having the patience and wisdom to say it like it is.

P.S. (I'm a Rice/Pasta Rocket fan)
Old 08-29-2001, 08:02 AM   #63
Spinetingler
Founding Member

Default Re: An analogy

Yikes -

Baseball - John Kruk: No athletecism (spelling?) - no business being in sports. Made it to the all star game and in the World Series. For that matter, the current Phillies team has no business being in first place with Atlanta; mediocre pitching and spotty hitting.

Football: Trent Dilfer & Mark Rypien; both SuperBowl quarterbacks that had no business being there. but won the big one.

Basketball: Muggsy Bogues - need I say more?? Allen Iverson - he's barely 6 foot, but was the league MVP.

Would you call any of these guys stupid? If so, I'd bet they'd laugh all the way to the bank.

You have to come uo with better analogies. I would (and did / do) applaud all the athletes I mentioned. And would applaud your examples if they got the job done the best or up to the best standards.

Now, you could have said HD is to Superbike racing as tin cans and a string are to telephones and I think I could have appreciated you analogy better. Or as drum brakes are to disc brakes; as carbeuration (spelling?) is to fuel injection; as snailmail is to email; as George w. Bush is to intelligence (uh-oh - know I'll start something w/ that one!!).
Spinetingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:04 AM   #64
83XLH1000
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

Last time I looked, this was America. Land of capitalism amongst other things. If HD can sell all that they can build with 50+ percent profit margin, isn't that what they should do? Wouldn't you? Perhaps you should have bought some stock and joined the ride.
83XLH1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:06 AM   #65
hdpetey
Founding Member

Good I always chuckled when I saw the "Harley-Davidson Racing" shirts and thought of their road racing lack of success.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:29 AM   #66
83XLH1000
Registered Member

Believe it or not, HD superbike racing has brought new fans to the AMA table. They brought me in, for instance and I'm sure they've brought others to racing (anytime you start thinking you are unique, think again). I will not stop watching or attending because they have gone but it is still a shame nonetheless. Its a shame that they were uncompetitive and its a shame that they are gone. The more racers, the better the race. Later.
83XLH1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:42 AM   #67
Neal
Founding Member

Welllll.....Im looking out my work window at my Electra glide and one other HD....no Jap bikes to be seen although many here own them.I ALWAYS wave,i have stock pipes and ALWAYS stop to help fellow motorcyclists...even those who wont stop for HD riders like me.Open your horizons Buddy...you sound much more close minded than most HD riders I know.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:45 AM   #68
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: A rather selective retirement..

Actually Vance and Hines is teaming with HD to build a Harley to compete in the NHRA prostock class....be interested to see how they do
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:51 AM   #69
choptop32
Founding Member

uuhhh dude, the "tank" on the XB9R is really an airbox cover....

The gas is stored IN the frame.

Talk about blind.....
choptop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 09:28 AM   #70
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Woahhhh... back up the cart for a second. Methinks you should look at some of the dyno graphs on this site. You think the R1 only generates 40lb-ft of torque??? Try 70ish peak lb-ft. 600cc sportbikes produce a little over 40lb-ft peak torque. Oh, and plus the R1 generates probably 30 to 40 more peak horse power than a typical Buell. It also revs to oh, 12000 rpm or so, meaning it has a much broader operating range. I'm sure the Buells generate more torque at lower rpm, but that's why high revving bikes are geared lower. Let's get our numbers remotely close before passing judgement. Oh, and 3 quarts of oil weighs aproximately 4 and a half or so pounds. How much of that really is sprung? What about the dynamic effects of oil sloshing around in there? Seems like one more thing to go wrong to me.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote