Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-29-2001, 05:52 AM   #51
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

You know if it was the 80's/early 90's, I might buy the Harley sucks attitude. The bikes I remember had problems right out of the showroom. However the current crop of Harley's for the market they are in (cruisers) are just fine and competitive with anything out on the road today. I think the hostility reflected in this forum is aimed at the riders and not the manufacturers. For anyone to make discriminatory remarks about a country or it's people is just plain stupid and say's alot about the author of those comments. I have been riding for 20 years now (since 16) and I am still amazed at the attitudes of our fellow bikers towards each other. The good news is (at least in SB, CA) I am seeing a consistant trend that both sides are acknowledging each other as "motorcyclists", and not as rivals. I hope it continues. Stay safe!!
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 06:24 AM   #52
dickhertz
Founding Member

Default Re: Even more power figures

The firebolt engine will rev higher than the X-1. They are different bikes.The Firebolt is going to suprise you - I can assure you of that.
dickhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 06:27 AM   #53
john
Founding Member

Yes, i agree with you, somewhat. I think the 996 and the firebolt will be polar opposites in the handling department. The 996 being linear and stable, and the firebolt being lightning quick in turning, and much more tossable. Either way, i think they are going to amazing handling.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:34 AM   #54
john
Founding Member

In England alone honda sells about 6,000 F4i's every year. I would guess honda sells about 20,000 F4i's worldwide. When you add in the 929, VFR, RC51, 1100XX, i would guess honda probably sells upwards of 50,000 sportbikes every year.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:37 AM   #55
john
Founding Member

yeah, every time i think about the "hardcore" RUB's on harleys bashing the "ricers", i cant help but think what the "real" bluecollar americans who work in the Goldwing plant would say to the yuppies.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:37 AM   #56
bag2
Founding Member

First - the V-Rod isn't a cruiser (7-9000rpm to get max power and 'average' torque!?) and second - it isn't the "less cc's" that counts, it's torque (there are 10-20 year old twin 600 cc's Hondas putting out nearly 100 hp...)and third: talking about innovations...are we talking Harleys or the man on the moon? Finaly (2001!!) Harley 'developed'(ha,haaaaa haaaa) the technology that has been out there for at least 20 years or so.

Dream on, my friend
bag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 06:51 AM   #57
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Even more power figures

Didn't you pay attention? The "fat long torque curve" of the Firebolt is SHARED by the R1 and 916 (not to mention 996) at those revs. They aren't any "peakier" than the Firebolt--they share its power curve, and then add on some extra instead of having a redline.

The Firebolt might be a really fun streetbike, but it doesn't seem to have the goods for racing.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 07:01 AM   #58
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Not to mention...

why should I care less about a blue-collar worker supporting his family in Kawasaki, JP than a blue-collar-worker supporting his family in Milwaukee, USA? They're both honest, hardworking guys (or gals) trying to put food on the table.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:08 AM   #59
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default An analogy

As for RACING, would you applaud a 110-lb guy trying to be a linebacker in NFL football? Would you support a 5'2" guy wanting to play professional basketball? They're gutsy, I suppose, but they're also very stupid for competing in a venue where they have zero chance for success. Their time would be better spent elsewhere. That's how I feel about HD and Superbike racing.

As for streetbikes, to each their own. I wave at 'em all, and some wave back.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:27 AM   #60
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Dyna writes: >> "Oh yea, by the way on your average roadcourse with people of the same talent level an X1 Buell will hang right with & pass the almighty R1. " <<

Umm...Wellll... NO! As a racer who races on some awfully tight courses (Streets of Willow, Firebird intl, Las Vegas Classic) I can assure you that there are some good riders on Buell Lightning racebikes. Thier closest competition is the guys on the stock or nearly stock SV-650s on really tight tracks. On the longer tracks, they are a little faster than the stock SVs and a little slower than the heavily modded (90hp.) SVs. At the Streets of Willow a properly set-up 600 (GSX-R, YZF, CBR, ZX-R) is about the fastest four stroke (laptime wise) the open class bikes (R-1s, GSXRs, 929RRs) are very very close to the pace of the 600s. Then come the 125cc and 250cc G.P. bikes then the SV-650s, then the Buells. I'm not talking about ONE rider on ONE bike, but several of each. In my real-life expierience the Buells ARE NOT faster on a tight course than an R-1.