Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-28-2001, 11:27 PM   #31
nome
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

Man I am so glad you are alive!!!!!! I agree with you 100% I don't think these people know that there is nothing new under the son and that Harley makes very good numbers, just compare the facts such as roll on and quarter mile times against other fake Harleys. Not to mention fuel milage and the quality of the bike, they except for one make that I have seen dont even come close! ride safe!!!
nome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 02:12 AM   #32
BuellBoy
Founding Member

I'm sorry, I reread his ENTIRE post and NOWHERE did he say it would out-accelerate an R1. As for outhandling a 996, that DOES remain to be seen. I'll put my money on the Firebolt.
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 02:53 AM   #33
BammBamm
Founding Member

I have an FXRS, a CBR, and an XR650L. That's a Harley, a Honda sport bike, and a dirt bike.

According to most of the posters here, every time I ride one of my bikes, I should hate myself twice, and two thirds of me should be pissed off. What a bunch of whining babies.

I ride each of my bikes because I enjoy them. Harley deserves credit for trying to go racing, and perhaps some admiration for trying it their own way even though they failed. I'm sorry to see them go because the more competitors, the better for race fans.

The simple fact of the matter is that the American riders are split, and the only ones buying Harley products, do so for different reasons than the people buying Japanese or Euro-bikes. That doesn't explain the venom and derision aimed at each other.

In my opinion, anyone that dismisses any other type of bikes is missing out on a lot of fun, and are mainly into biking for pose value. Some people like Harleys, some don't. Get over it.

Can't we just all get along?
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 02:57 AM   #34
moose
Founding Member

well, they should've stuck around a few more years, & learned from the Japanese how to build a reliable, competitive, & very fast motorcycle.

it's unfortunate.
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 03:36 AM   #35
Z1R
Founding Member

dynarider

Harley has come a long way in the last few years.

-STANDARD HARLEY EXCUSE-

The new firebolt..remember at it's core it

is a harley, probably the best handling bike ever mass produced.

-DID YOU RIDE IT YET?-
Z1R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 03:41 AM   #36
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Even more power figures

What matters is accelerating force at the tire patch which is torque x tire radius x overall gear/sprocket ratio. At the limit (about 1.2 G) that's the same for any bike.

The advantage of the fat long torque curve of the Buell is fewer shifts, while the extra horsepower of the peaky bikes beats the Buell on the fast straights. Overall balance, setup and design are probably more important.

In any case, we really don't know all that much about the power and torque curves of the actual racing bikes... or do we?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 03:54 AM   #37
Coldrider
Founding Member

That lapped traffic is the privateers who do not have factory support and, consequently, the big budget backing them. So they are on bikes down around 20 hp compared to the factory bikes while also using the suspension and tires that they can afford. Factory riders have their choice of tire and suspension settings which get altered to fit each specific track. It's a lot like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but the privateers at least make a go of it anyway for the sport rather than the money.
Coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:14 AM   #38
Coldrider
Founding Member

I'll have to argue the point on the R1 needing to be at 9000 rpm to make good power. The stock R1 that I had an opportunity to ride pulled hard in all six gears from 25mph. Comparing the R1 motor to a Buell motor is like comparing apples to oranges. While they weren't in Buell tune, the modified Harley's that I have ridden pulled decently in any gear, but not with the fierceness of the R1.
Coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:24 AM   #39
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

I ride a Buell (The Harley that Zigs), but I am put off by your "ricer" comment. This seems like blatant racism to me. Enough is enough. Did you know that Honda and Kawasaki build many of their bikes in the USA? I bet those assembly line workers in Marysville, OH and Lincoln, NE would have a thing or two to say to you. It's time to grow up people! The world is going global. Check out the accessories in your local H-D dealer. Those "real steel" parts are made in TAIWAN!!!!!

There is no reason to say what you said unless you just don't like people whose eyes look different from yours. Get real!
Old 08-29-2001, 04:33 AM   #40
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: A rather selective retirement..

It's funny though, that Harleys only compete against each other on the drag strip. How about a competitive bike to play with the big boys?