Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > AMA Racing

Old 08-30-2001, 08:50 AM   #101
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley Davidson to Retire from Racing

Harley-Davidson does not support price gouging by its dealers. They do what they can to try and curb such practices, but the anti-trust laws severely limit their options. The Motor Company went so far as to file an Amicus curiae brief in another case before the US Supreme Court that was trying to give manufacturers more control over how their dealers set prices.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2001, 09:14 AM   #102
Biker4751
Founding Member

Well of course you're right. The Honda that you refer to as "the damn Goldwing" can't be nearly as good as the Harley Ultra that costs just as much. And as for road racing, hey, what else can the motor company possibly prove? And let's not forget that it was Harley that brought liquid cooling and electronic fuel injection to motorcycling in the first place. I was going to buy a GSX 1000; but I forgot, Harley does it better with Buell Firebolt. How churlish of the press to fail to report that its "the best handling mass produced bike ever produced" Thanks for setting the record straight. Lovely doo-rag, BTW.
Biker4751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 09:26 AM   #103
caderider
Registered Member

Stereo Types? Yes, Mine's a Clarion

B
Old 08-30-2001, 09:29 AM   #104
stevegrab
Founding Member

Are you only going to look at Harley motorcycle sales? Or are you going to include all the apparel and all branded stuff that they sell?

When are people that buy Harleys going to admit that they're buying it for the name, and also in part because it is made in America? I won't buy something for brand naming alone, I want some value. Even without the price vs. cost issue of Harleys there is the whole dealer gouging issue. How many people have paid over MSRP for a Japanese (or Italian, or British) bike?

I don't really think their bikes are bad, if you're into cruisers, but they are not worth what is being charged.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 09:50 AM   #105
hdpetey
Founding Member

If it doesn't come stock - build it. That's the beauty of a Harley.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 11:17 AM   #106
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I do agree that the new Buell looks like a large step foreward, for HD. I'm even thinking that I'd like to try racing one. However, the OIL is carried in the front torque box of the swingarm on the XB-9R. That is BEHIND the pivot and definately UN-Sprung weight. I don't think it'll make a huge difference in the overall handling of the bike, but in the age-old MO tradition of splitting hairs.... It is un-sprung and un-necessary. The sub-frame could have been used, or the lower portion of the frame, below the fuel tank.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:05 PM   #107
vmxxx
Founding Member

I ride a Vmax and an R1...if H-D made a good sportbike I just may ride one...as for now they don't and I dont. I agree with the comments regarding brand bashing.....if you ride my bikes (and trust me you won't) you can tell me how much they suck. Untill then keep your brand bashing to yourself. I have never been a H-D fan, not to say I don't like their bikes, just not exactly what I want in a motorcycle. They are however some of the most beautiful bikes on the road...like it or not. H-d has done something right. They have been in buisness for ever and will continue to sell lots of bikes in whatever form they choose. Let's hope they get it done and develop a sportbike...I just may become a fan myself.
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:17 PM   #108
josxr
Founding Member

Actually, an R1 makes between 60 and 70 ft/lbs of torque over an 8000 rpm range, between 3500 and 11,500 RPM while a GSXR1000 matches the R1 and peaks at 78. That gives both literbikes superior power to weight ratios than the XB9R, with mile wide powerbands. Maybe you should do your home work before you shoot your mouth off, eh?
josxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:45 PM   #109
ASTROZOMBIE
Founding Member

See what smoking dope has done to ya over the years!
ASTROZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 02:01 PM   #110
ASTROZOMBIE
Founding Member

The tupperware that you are talking about, is probably those little beannie helmets with stupid stickers on um! Am I right? I guess a tupperware bowl could pass as a brain bucket, that's only if you were riding a HD. I think I saw a 15 year old kid on motorscooter passing one the other day!
ASTROZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote